We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying and Playing in Friday Harbor

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Staying and Playing in Friday Harbor

Hi,

Planning trip to Friday Harbor in July via the ferry from Anacortes. Considering staying at Friday House (now Bird Rock?), or Harrison House/Tucker House. Are all these lodgings within a pleasant walking distance to many nice/fun restaurants?

Advantages/Disadvantages of either location or lodging?

Also would like to kayak to possibly see the Orcas. Considering the Sea Quest day trip.

Recommendations for a fun/relaxing visit to Friday Harbor are most appreciated.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying and Playing in Friday Harbor

If you select my name, Voyaging, you will come to a section where I've contributed comments re: what to see and to do on San Juan Island.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying and Playing in Friday Harbor

I should add, see both my Reviews and Inside Pages.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying and Playing in Friday Harbor

Voyaging- didn't see previous, recent reviews that specifically addressed my inquiry (hope I was looking in the right spot- Reviews/Insider). Genuine appreciate for the speedy reply.

Without knowing the layout of Friday Harbor, I am unable to discern if your favorite restaurant choices (Duck Soup and Back Door) are within a pleasant walking distance from my choice lodgings.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying and Playing in Friday Harbor

This map should help you by checking the lodging websites and noting their addresses. Also, the site includes both lodging and restaurants on the left hand side.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Friday+Harbor,+WA,+United+States+of+America&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

Are you driving or walking on the ferry? Will you be alone or with other(s)? What are your interests?

I think both lodgings are within walking distance as I recall. We stay at Lonesome Cove, but for that you would need a car.

To really explore the island, and there is much to see as noted in my insider pages, you would need wheels. If walking on, you could rent a car on the island, but would want to reserve ahead of time.

Friday Harbor does have a nubmer of small town dining places, taverns, etc. Just walking around you will find them. Except for the Back Door restaurant; that's in my insider pages.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying and Playing in Friday Harbor

We did the day kayak trip with Outdoor Odessy's and really enjoyed it. They take you by van across the island so you do not have to spend the time kayaking around to where the whales usually are *lime Kiln) I found our guide to be very knowledgeable and respectful of all the wildlife that we encountered....She was just as excited as we were when a pod of whales went about 30 meters away and she does this every day. They pack a great lunch too! Definately reccomend them.

6. Re: Staying and Playing in Friday Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 19, 2009