We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regional foods to try

Mine Hill, New...
4 posts
Regional foods to try

I like to try foods with the kids when we travel that we typically wouldn't find at home (northeast). An upcoming trip to San Antonio will be our first trip to TX. I've been told to get the sweet cream waffles at Guenther House and not to leave without ordering a breakfast taco (no specific location). Any other recommendations?

Sweet cream ice cream popped up in google while looking up the waffles. I'll look for that as well.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
21,086 posts
85 reviews
319 helpful votes
1. Re: Regional foods to try

At Guenther house, split an order of biscuits and gravy and then a waffle....I like the waffle with strawberries...all of their pastries are worthy.

Tex-Mex is prevalent in SA and on practically on every corner...fast food or mom and pop

BBQ, chicken fried steak, I would go for puffy tacos for ex at Henry's.

Turkey breast and creamed corn at Rudy's BBQ

Visit Mi Tierra downtown..24/7 Mexican restaurant...Mexican bakery,

brisket pizza at Big Lou's,

It may be more helpful to know exactly how far northeast you are staying

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
76 reviews
114 helpful votes
2. Re: Regional foods to try

And try a Whataburger, Texas' own fast food burger chain! They will be on every corner and open 24/7.

MJT
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
38 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: Regional foods to try

A queso and jalapeño smothered chicken fried steak and a 3lb cinnamon roll to share at Lulu's Bakery.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
48 reviews
178 helpful votes
4. Re: Regional foods to try

Here are some links about Texas Food:

Nice article. Many folks visit us from overseas and have no clue, but read that visiting a TexMex restaurant goes hand in hand with a BBQ restaurant visit during their trip.

When article comes up you have to click on each of the NINE colorful boxes to read the entire article:

austinmonthly.com/AM/…

businessinsider.com/authentic-mexican-food-v…

http://tinyurl.com/o85qzlg

http://tinyurl.com/jrsrksw

yestotexas.com/foods-that-texans-cant-live-w… You have to click on 4 pages to see entire article

I highly recommend a plate of sizzling beef fajitas or you can get them with chicken or shrimp or a combo of all three. They are served with pico, guacamole, shredded cheese and sour cream. Then you spoon it into a warm tortilla and yum:

www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/steak_fajitas/

Mine Hill, New...
4 posts
5. Re: Regional foods to try

Thank you very much for all the suggestions.

Marlin Texas USA
Level Contributor
327 posts
53 reviews
39 helpful votes
6. Re: Regional foods to try

The migas for breakfast at Mi Tierra are great--eggs, bits of tortilla, and lots of other nice ingredients!

If you are adventurous, try cabrito, which is young goat prepared various ways and available at most Tex-Mex restaurants.

And if you find yourself in El Mercado, there are vendors with fruit juices called agua frescas that are amazing!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
44,404 posts
712 reviews
205 helpful votes
7. Re: Regional foods to try

Prickly Pear Margarita

Mine Hill, New...
4 posts
8. Re: Regional foods to try

I have never heard of agua frescas before. I'll definitely look for those.

And prickly pear margaritas too!

thank you

Edited: 10:59 pm, February 20, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Regional foods to try

Hi the fruteria restaurant on s flores is a must if you are looking for something different,delicious and inexpensive. Also if you are looking to go on a tour with the whole family check out Scooterpowertours.com also a good ice cream place is south by alamode at the blue star complex the best gelato in texas.

Edited: 12:25 am, February 21, 2016
10. Re: Regional foods to try

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 22, 2017
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio