We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

Cary, North...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

Although I love Tex Mex, I'm looking for some authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Any ideas?

san antonio
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

that's a difficult question u have there gordjohn. authentic mexican food and u only have about 50,000 mexican restaurants here in san antonio to choose from.........good luck with that one. any place u call will tell u they are authentic. oh, yesterday there were 50,000 and i just checked my stats today, now there are 75,000, u best hurry my friend and find that special one.

sorry i couldn't help u out on this one.

just beware of the so-called upscale mexican restaurants that charge u more than $6 for a meal plate.

Huntsville, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

my friend told my of a awesome but cheap mexican restaurant on the riverwalk. She told me to go over the bridge and there would be a set of stairs. Go down those stairs and the restaurant is right there. It is family owned and operated. I am looking for the name. I will get back to you.

Huntsville, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

gordjohn

the restaurant is called The Original Mexican Restaurant. The phone number is 210-224-9951.

They have awesome food.

LG
Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

Rosario's has been our favorite each time we visit. Recently, we have heard that Mi Tierra Cafe and Bakery is excellent. Looking forward to trying them during our April visit this year.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
575 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

As one of the previous posts stated, just about every Mexican restaurant claims to be authentic, so finding one will be difficult. Here are a couple of suggestions. I tried a Mexican restaurant called AJUUA located in a newly developed strip mall in NW SA on the corner of Huebner and Vance Jackson and they didn't have the regular TexMex menu. The food had more of a Yucatan/Caribbean type flare to it and was actually pretty good. Also in NW SA, on Vance Jackson and Jackson-Keller, is Ernesto's, a supposedly very good and authentic Mexican restaurant with gourmet seafood and other Mexican specialty dishes. I haven't tried Ernesto's, but I've heard it is good. Myself, I prefer TexMex so I tend to stick to these type restaurants, but hopefully this will help you out a bit. Good Luck!

Texas
Level Contributor
215 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

I'm not sure where you'll be staying in San Antonio, but my Mexican friends always take me to Las Palapas. There are several locations in the suburbs. I love the food and it's very inexpensive.

dallas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

The best authentic mexician food is Mi Tierra. It is not on the river it is in the market and my husband is from San Antonio and this is where his friends from Mexico eat. It is wonderful and don't forget your cookies or bread to take home. While you are there you can shop in the market as well.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

A good one with more central mexico food is El Mirador (best Margaritas in town). This one is south of downtown 4-5 blocks and is great (lot of locals not many tourist). Another great one that only locals frequent is called Soluna and is north of Alamo Heights on Broadway - trendy yet, great authentic mex and great maragritas. The best touristy Tex-Mex is Mi Tierra in the El Mercado. Pico De Gallo west of downtown is very authentic tex-mex and probably has the largest local hispanic crowd. Best Tex Mex on the River is RIO RIO CANTINA. Good Luck.

san antonio
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

ummm, I think all the aforementioned restaurants with the exception of El Mirador, are tex-mex.

Try Cascabel, which is also on St. Mary's, just a bit south of El Mirador.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: authentic Mexican food in San Antonio. Not Tex-Mex

Most of the places mentioned so far are Tex-Mex. We Texans tend to graviate towrads ground beef and yellow cheese. It;s in our blood after all the Frito Pie in jr. high.

Try La Calesa off Broadway for a wider variety of food. I like the Cochinita Pibil, a Yucatan dish of spiced pork wrapped in banana leaves. See Texas Monthly for a decent food guide that might help keep you away from nacos, tacos, and the like