We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canton First Monday

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Any where warm!
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Canton First Monday

Have any of the regulars......gone to this flea market? Just curious if it's worth going to, quite a drive from SA. Thanks.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canton First Monday

I've been a few times with mixed results. It is quite a drive; we usually go the day before and stay with relatives in Dallas. We leave early, spend the day, and then head back to Dallas. The last time we went, a few years ago, I noticed a lot of crafts. We always have a good time; there are lots to look at. I collect pinback buttons (like political buttons but I prefer advertising) so I'm looking for some pretty unusual items. It's always hit or miss.

Closer to SA is Round Top - Twice a year (spring and fall) for about two weeks all sorts of antique dealers. I think the next one is in/around the first week of October.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canton First Monday

I have also had mixed results with Canton. I used to have an antiques business so I went a few times, I don't think that I would drive all the way from San Antonio for it. Round Top is at the other end of the spectrum price-wise from Canton.

If you are searching for bargains, the weekend before Round Top, Warrenton opens. The fall dates are September 28 - October 8th. Although it offically opens on the 28, many dealers will not be set up until the 30th. It is larger than Canton, and there is a little of everything, antiques, collectibles, new items, junk, etc. My favorite place to eat is the Legal Tender. They have great brisket sandwiches on homemade bread, as well as scumptous chicken salad, pimento cheese, egg salad, etc. The brisket always runs out early, even on the hotest days.

There is no admission charge to Warrenton, but most of the parking lots are $3 to $5 per day. If you drive up past the Diamond Shamrock/Valero Station and up the hill, there is free parking at the back of the field next to Clutter ( a shop set up by some Austin dealers during Warrenton.)

On the Tuesday after Warrenton, Marburger Farms opens. It is approximately midway between Warrenton and Round Top. Marburger is nicer than Warrenton, but for the most part not as expensive as Round Top. To get the best deals, though, you should spring for the $25 early buying session on Tuesday morning. The admission is good for the rest of the week as well. Loads of interior designers go on Tuesday morning to snap up deals for their clients.

There are also shows in Carmine and Shelby. The Shelby show opens the day after Marburger. I'm not sure when Carmine opens.

That was sort of a long answer to 'is Canton worth the drive.' I would say it is not.

Any where warm!
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canton First Monday

West,

So, I'm assuming the places you mentioned are not open year round, but yearly events, correct? Sounds like what I'd be looking for, will need to make a note for after our move. We arrive Sept 26th for our second home scouting trip. We had hoped to be in SA by now, but had a delay. Thanks.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canton First Monday

Check out the Round Top Chamber of Commerce web site especially their events calendar. http://www.roundtop.org/

5. Re: Canton First Monday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio