We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many Missions

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Topic
So many Missions

Let's say I wanted to visit all of the Missions in San Antonio, how much time would/could this take. I am not the type that wants to see every little part of a historic area or every little stone, but it would be nice to know if it takes hours or days. If I would have to chose between a couple of Missions, which one would my fellow Trip Advisors suggest. I have gone through the SA brochure, but of course they make it all seem worth visiting. So if anyone has suggestions besides my original question and the Alamo, please share, thanks

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So many Missions

I think you could see all four of the non-Alamo mission in day or less. We spent half a day at Mission San Jose and Concepcion, but my husband also took hundreds of photographs. If you don't want to spend an entire day, then I think Mission San Jose is the place to go and spend a couple of hours. It's the largest and is home to the visitor's center.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many Missions

Mr. Ted is spot on.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: So many Missions

Thanks, guess we can start out with those two and see how much more Missions we can take afterwards.

As additional question, how long would you figure for the Alamo and surrounding area?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many Missions

I think you could see the Alamo and explore the grounds in an hour. Less if you aren't interested in reading all of the information presented in and around the other buildings on the grounds.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So many Missions

We visited all the missions apart from the Alamo, which we had previously seen, in about 3.5 hours. We weren't trying to hurry along. Each of them are very interesting but none of the missions and their grounds are very large. I would see them all because they are different from one another.

Texas
Level Contributor
507 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many Missions

After you look at the Alamo, iI would highly recommend looking at the nearby historic Menger Hotel.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So many Missions

Espada is my favorite more for the rural setting than anything else. It seems to transport you back in time. And don't miss the aqueduct along the way.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So many Missions

If you start at the southern most and work your way north, you can see all plus aquaduct, Espada Dam all in just about 1 hour over a half day. If you start at the Alamo and work south it will take longer as the Alamo opens later then the rest of the missions. That will put you downtown just after lunch, with time to see the Spanish Goveners Palace, Navarro house, and the cathedral.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: So many Missions

On a somewhat related matter, how does Fiesta San Antonio usually impact visitor numbers to the popular tourist places, especially during the week, am not in SA on weekends anyway.

And thanks all for the great info, much appreciated.

Edited: 10:41 am, April 11, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So many Missions

No effect, except the Alamo, regarding missions. Museums might have an event at them which would effect them only for that day. The river walk will be on River parade day, the downtown in general for the Friday and Saturday for the street parades.