We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at river walk with no car

Spokane
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at river walk with no car

We are traveling to San Antonio on the 10th for four days. I am traveling with my 9 month old baby, mother & aunt. We are staying at the holiday inn at river walk. We are attending a dust off reunion. Anyone have any tips, restaurant reccomandation, or things not to miss on the river walk. We will not have a car. Thank you!!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,101 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at river walk with no car

how soon will you visit? July and esp. Aug can be brutal

you are in a good location....you probably won't need the trolley as you can walk by the time you wait for the trolley to make its rounds. There is enough to do downtown for 4 days.

If you are a walker, plan a morning in King William district....have lunch or breakfast at www.guentherhouse.com eat in the historic German home, nice pastries and gift shop. Flour mill is still production. You can reach it by the south river or via street level.

Market Square is a favorite place to meander or just hang out, people watch, Mi Tierra 24/7, Mexican bakery, decorated in Christmas year round. Sister restaurant is La Margarita.

downtown Schilo's German Deli..circa 1917..root beer on tap, famous for split pea soup

on the RW,, Boudro;s for guacamole salad made table side

Blanco Cafe is local Tex Mex voted best enchiladas several times..inexpensive and a plateful of food...I'd go at least once for both breakfast and dinner..... close is 3pm @ 419 N. St Marys-very near, in direction of Greyhound

blancocafe.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/…

Mon - Fri 5:30am - 3pm, Sat 6am - 2pm, Closed Sunday. Deliveries: 8am-11am

take the river around to Southwest Craft center, former Ursuline Academy, they offer nice lunches during the weekdays- Copper Kitchen. Historic grounds. https://www.swschool.org/copperkitchencafe

..step in the Central Library next door to see http://www.chihuly.com/home.aspx

you can get the boat to the new north extension for a ride or it will get you to SAMA-San Antonio Musuem of Art....as well you can stop off at the Pearl Brewery complex..lots of new places to shop, eat, have coffee etc. http://atpearl.com/

stroll through the historic Menger Hotel lobby, bar and atrium...google its history. St. Anthony is another hotel you should walk through.

Almost kiddie corner from HI is Guther Hotel...again worth a walk through, they also have there own bakery

the hotel is basically at Houston and St Mary's street, on Houston go around the corner to see the Majestic theater, next block is a Walgreens in case you need some snacks or incidentals.

San Fernando Cathedrel, Texas Institute of Culture, Market Square etc.

Edited: 12:39 am, April 03, 2014
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,101 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at river walk with no car

sorry, the glass sculpture at the central library by Dale Chihuly

and Gunter Hotel

a nicer steak place for the evening but they also offer lunch

bohanans.com/restaurant/category/lunch-bar/

not my thing but there is a Rain Forest Cafe...not sure if 9mo old is age appropriate...you'll have to decide

enjoy your visit...happy eating!

Spokane
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at river walk with no car

Thank you for your response, it is very helpful. We will be there next week! Is the river walk considered "downtown" & can you take strollers on the taxi boats?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at river walk with no car

Yes the Riverwalk area with most of the restaurants is considered downtown. The Riverwalk does extend several miles in each direction from downtown.

The Riverwalk is NOT stroller friendly - lots of narrow sidewalks, lots of stairs, a few elevators. You can take strollers on the river taxi. I would suggest a backpack for your child. Just be sure there's some shade - hat, canopy, etc.

Spokane
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at river walk with no car

I wasn't planning on bringing the baby backpack. I will be sure to pack it!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,678 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at river walk with no car

My favorite place to eat was Zuni Grill, but it is no longer there. It was replaced by Charlie Wants a Burger. Other places I like is Mi Tierra down by the market. Other than that, I just try different places everytime I go.

7. Re: Staying at river walk with no car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 11, 2015
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio