We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

Travelling on my own a lady of 55-60 without transport & wanted to know what you think of this hotel & its location. Seems very close to freeway. Definately a walk/ride around the riverwalk area. Not sure what else I plan on seeing yet but any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,391 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

Because you're visiting solo, I'd personally look at getting a place on the other side of the freeway...you are more in the thick of things and for the simple fact that the area is unfamiliar and if you happen to be out after dark,you don't wanna lose your bearings....

by being on the other side of the freeway, you can meander around the riverwalk without any hesitation... for ex. Drury Inn and Suites have decent prices and offer breakfast

If your budget allows, you can treat yourself to a place for ex a b&b in King William area..

Edited: 1:57 am, March 23, 2014
Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

Thanks for the insight, this is why I like Trip Adviser. Being a overseas person not knowing the area & the locals/experts can help. Goggling is great but so much out there. Ive setup the VisitSanAntonio.com site to check out heaps of stuff

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

Tejashombre is spot on. Although this area is generally safe I would look to be more central. Try perusing the San Antonio Visitor's Experience website for promotions on Riverwalk hotels. There are many choices usually depending upon availability due to special events.You can usually get the Menger for around $120, a good choice across the street from the Alamo and steeped with history.

I would avoid Market Square area also, although it is safe, it is a bit away from the action and not the easiest stroll after dark in my opinion. You could, of course, take a taxi if you find something there...probably about $10 from Alamo Plaza.

visitsanantonio.com/english/…

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,391 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

for hotel searches, you may want to search hotwire.com you can get some decent prices and search by location..i.e. SA Riverwalk.

if you need food or site seeing suggestions, let us know.

www.texashighways.com articles and events by region...you can do some reading here

Edited: 2:11 pm, March 23, 2014
Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

I've booked into the Drury Inn & Suites Riverwalk through the VisitSanantonio.com. Question for you all is the hotel a bit of a distance from the centre of township, the buz of the city. I google mapped the address & it seems to be away from a lot. I understand the canals go for a long way, just didn't want to be at the end of it all, if you know what I mean. Would I be best to take the riverboat/water taxie all the way down & back or is that now how it works. Please fill in some info, thanks

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

You are 5 minutes walking or less from almost everything. Personally, I really like this hotel's location. Step across the river and have a great burger at Esquire Tavern. No need for you to use the water taxi unless you want to go to the Pearl complex.

Take the boat tour to get oriented. There is a pickup point very near the hotel at the Aztec.

You have chosen wisely! Enjoy San Antonio.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

We stayed here without the use of a car,but I have to stay that having to cross the freeway was sometimes a bit scary. I suggest you stay elsewhere.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

The OP has booked a different hotel.

Pipe Creek, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

I would suggest staying right on the River walk since you are alone.

Australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comfort Suites Alamo/River walk 505 Live Oak Street,

I'm staying at drury inn & suites riverwalk now, thanks for everyone's help

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio