We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for solo traveler on the Riverwalk?

Terre Haute, Indiana
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice for solo traveler on the Riverwalk?

I'm attending my niece's graduation at Lackland and will be in San Antonio Oct 10th-13th. Unfortunately, my hubby won't be able to get away so it's going to be a solo trip for this first time visitor. I am planning to use Priceline or Hotwire for a nice Riverwalk hotel, so not sure which one it will be yet...just that it should be centrally located. She will have a town pass on Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. She will be in charge of the itinerary while we are together, but will need to be back on base and in her barracks by 8:00, so that will leave me with a couple of nights to figure out how best to enjoy my own company.

I am flying in, but not renting a car. I'm planning to take a cab from the airport to the hotel, a public bus to/from the base, and plan to use my feet and the trolley/streetcar service to get around the Riverwalk area.

I would appreciate any advice or safety tips I should consider as a solo female traveler (such as areas to avoid), as well as suggestions for activities I might enjoy doing by myself. I'm 44 and love all the historical and cultural allure of the city. I am a super-early riser who would be ready to start exploring at daybreak if there's anything open or available to do that early, and also looking for fun things to do in the evenings after 8:00 p.m. It would be nice to find a place to hang out with friendly people who don't mind striking up a conversation with a chatty stranger!

:)

Marlin Texas USA
Level Contributor
275 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for solo traveler on the Riverwalk?

The Riverwalk is so very safe--just enjoy the ambiance, perhaps take a riverboat ride to acquaint yourself with the Walk.

If you are an early riser, take a stroll along the King William district. You'll encounter a few joggers, and some folks taking their dogs for an early walk, but the architecture, gardens, and general peacefulness of the KW district is just delightful.

You may want to wander over to the Market Square and have breakfast at Mi Tierra (I highly recommend the migas, but look over the menu before making a decision). You will want to return to the Square later when the shops are open to pick up some lovely souvenirs.

The Trolley Tour http://www.thealamotrolley.com/ is a get-on, get-off tour that takes you to two missions, San Fernando Cathedral, Institute of Texan Cultures (did you know there was a definite Swedish influence in Texas, and there is also a haunted hearse), as well as other points of interest. The tour tickets are available across from the Alamo at the Tour Office.

We live in Central Texas, and San Antonio is our favorite long weekend getaway place. We usually take the trolley tour at least once or twice a year because we can both enjoy the tour without having to drive.

Don't worry about people not " striking up a conversation with a chatty stranger!" One thing us Texans love is a stranger, and even better, one that wants to chat! So, enjoy your niece's graduation, your visit to San Antonio, and please enjoy the city on your first (but hopefully not last) visit to the city!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for solo traveler on the Riverwalk?

I am a 70 year old woman from Austin and I stay in hotels on the RWalk and navigate all over downtown, El Mercardo, and the museum reach day and night with no fears. But, that said, it's like any city. There is crime, but the Rwalk itself is loaded at night with tourists and in the early morning the hotel guests that walk/jog are out in full.

At the visitors center across the street from The Alamo, you can get free magazines/brochures and ask any question of the very friendly volunteers. They also have bus schedules and I highly recommend you catch the #7 VIA mass transit bus out to the Botanical Gardens, the zoo if you desire and the lovely Witte Museum:

sanantoniotourist.net/2011/…

There is a small cafe in the Botanical Gardens:

http://www.sabot.org

The SA Art Museum is also on that #7 route:

http://www.samuseum.org

Across the street is a new food truck place called The Luxury that is very popular:

sacurrent.com/dining/food/fast-foodie-the-lu…

Rivercenter Mall has a huge food court and about 5 nice restaurants, Starbucks, Amy's Ice Cream & more just outside it's doors in what I call the alley. Also, an entry point for tickets on the Riverboat (see YouTube for videos of boat tour). In the Mall is an IMAX theatre with ongoing showing of The Alamo and current movies.

http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com

You will have no problem striking up conversations with fellow tourists, It's a happy city!

Night out? Could be IMAX or here is a website:

www.sanantonionightout.com/entertainment

www.patobriens.com/patobriens/sanantonio/ Nice courtyard out back. Great place to meet others.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,580 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for solo traveler on the Riverwalk?

Saturday morning check out the Farmer's market at Pearl. There are some great restaurants there too. It is walkable (via the river) or you can take the bus or a river taxi (a little pricey.) Sam's Burger Joint is just a block east of the Pearl - great local/Texas/regional music - If you were leaving from there later at night, I would suggest a cab ride - $5 to $10 bucks. http://samsburgerjoint.com/ Band of Heathens is scheduled for Friday the 11th and Del Castillo for Saturday the 12th. Both bands are Great.

Terre Haute, Indiana
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for solo traveler on the Riverwalk?

Thank you all for taking the time to provide such detailed information and suggestions! LadyofTexas, I will certainly put the King William district walk on my morning itinerary. That sounds like a perfect and peaceful way to start the day. Georgetowngal, the #7 bus to the Botanical Gardens sounds like a winner! I even saw that there will be "moonlight garden" event there on Saturday, the 11th. Octoboy, I may indeed check out the music scene at Sam's. Sounds like my kind of place!

I only hope I run into some folks as friendly and helpful as these responses have been. And that I don't get laughed at for wearing white walking sandals in October. I've decided to be a fashion rebel in the name of comfort! :)

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for solo traveler on the Riverwalk?

Dont forget to stop by The Esquire Tavern - nothing better than sitting at the longest wooden bar in Texas for striking up conversations with your fellow drinkers!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,366 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for solo traveler on the Riverwalk?

Mi Tierra at Market Square 24/7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUxOD0tJic

Boudro's on the rivewalk for guacomole salad made table side

In King William enjoy breakfast at the Guenther House...eat in the original German family home...Pioneer Flour is still produced here.... try the biscuits and gravy and waffle!

at the least,pick up a pastry on your walk

www.guentherhouse.com

take a peek at Schilo's German Deli..street level, Commerce St kiddie corner from McD's

http://schilos.com/ circa 1917

walk through the historic Menger hotel-next to the Alamo..supposedly haunted, famous for mango ice cream, historic bar and hotel-Teddy Roosevelt recruited Rough Riders here back in the day

Walk around the former Ursuline Academy/Southwest Craft Center.

next door is the central library..worth a peek for the Dale Chihuly. glass work

flickr.com/photos/eddierodriguez/113932379/

take the river cruise twice..during the day and at night

7. Re: Advice for solo traveler on the Riverwalk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio