We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any thoughts on our itinerary?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Any thoughts on our itinerary?

Day 1: Drive from Houston stopping in Ludling for BBQ for lunch around 11:30. Arrive in SA by 2pm. Checkin and then walk to San Fernando Cathedral, Spanish Governor's Palace and Market Square. Dinner at Mi Tierra or La Margarita (which has better fajita's?). Then take river cruise and possibly Tower of America if it's not too dark. Probably get dessert to save entrance fee.

Day 2: IMAX movie/Alamo, lunch at Schilo's (Tower of America if we didn't go), La Villita and maybe walk through King Williams District if kids are up for it and then have tea at Mad Hatters. Take trolley back to hotel. Dinner suggestions?

Day 3: Drive to LBJ ranch and then over to Fredericksburg for lunch. Return via Comfort and Boerne. Will it be wildflower season? If so, where is the best place to see the wildflowers in this area? Suggestions for a German lunch somewhere? Thinking dinner at Rosario's or Sea Island Shrimp house or?

Day 4: Drive to the 4 missions (spending time at San Jose and probably just quickly seeing the others) and the Espanda Aqueduct before driving back to Houston. Lunch at Guenther House.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any thoughts on our itinerary?

Without knowing your budget for dinner in San Antonio, it's hard to make a suggestion, but it looks like you've got a great schedule. It's been a while since I've eaten at the two Mexican restaurants, but I remember that they're both great. Perhaps someone from San Antonio can tell you which one has better fajitas.

As to German lunch in Fredericksburg, I've enjoyed Der Linderbaum--authentic and very inexpensive. ( I've done a review on TA earlier.) There's another place there that others like as well, but the name doesn't come to mind.

Your trip sounds great. You've laid out a well-thought-out plan. I'm assuming you're stopping at City Market in Luling, which is very good, unless you wanted to head 20 miles north to Lockhart to try one or more of Smitty's, Kreutz' or Black's BBQ, but with your schedule as tight as it is, it looks as though you'll have to save that for another trip.

Have fun, and welcome to Texas.

TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any thoughts on our itinerary?

Day 4. Go to Gruene, TX. (pronounced Green)

Just north if SA a small suburb of New Braunfels. Check out all the shops, eat at Grist Mill (overlooking the river), go to Gruene Hall (oldest dance hall in TX). A must do for anyone coming to SA.

Have fun

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any thoughts on our itinerary?

For fajitas La Margarita hands down.

www.lamargarita.com/pages/m_specialties.html

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any thoughts on our itinerary?

I agree with Gehrig about going to La Margarita for fajitas.

Your itinerary looks very good & plan out very well.

I agree it's a great idea to see the movie to bring all the events back to your mind before visiting the Alamo & especially for the kids. I think they will be more itnerested in seeing the Alamo after watching the movie & San Fernando Cathedral where some of the bodies are entomb there. www.sfcathedral.org actually you may want to leave the Cathedral for the same day you visit the Alamo.

If you are coming in April or May there will be wildflowers everywhere especially up by Fredricksburg area there is a wild-seed farm as well.

Where are you staying on the riverwalk ??? if so you may want to go to Boudro's www.boudros.com or Michelino's www.michelinos.us since you have a car you may like to go to Lulu's very reasonable & great food & good size portions. www.luluscafeinsa.com

You would be better off going to Mi Tierra than Rosario IMO.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any thoughts on our itinerary?

Thanks everyone! We as far as budget, we like to go mid-range for meals - nothing expensive. Yes, City Market in Ludling. Will look into Gruene. We are coming at the end of March. So might be too early for wildflowers? I would like to have guacamole at Boudro's so might go there for lunch and then have dinner at Schilo's? We are staying at Embassy Suites Riverwalk.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any thoughts on our itinerary?

We have tried all the big guns for bbq, and City Market in Luling is our favorite for brisket...La Margarita is the better of the two for fajitas, but not the best in town...As far as the kids; if they are old enough I suggest a segway tour as well as your river cruise.. I also like Lulu's or Good Time Charlies for dinner....At GTC, adults can get a beer or margarita with dinner...

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any thoughts on our itinerary?

I like your itinerary. I would stay with the Mission Trail on day 4. Allow enough time to see all of them. They are each interesting and charming in their own way. Here's the link to my review. tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60956-d1084…

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any thoughts on our itinerary?

texhills read your review it was very nice & very good key points on it. It was an enjoyable read & thanks for sharing.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any thoughts on our itinerary?

Lulu's prices are about the same as Schilo's, if you are looking for a great value for your money. Since you are staying at Embassy you'll have a Free breakfast so a lite lunch should work & then dinner.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any thoughts on our itinerary?

thanks for the kind words, pruske.