We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which would you do on 1st day?

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which would you do on 1st day?

Coming to SA at the end of the month. Driving from Houston and plan to have early lunch (11:30) in Luling for BBQ. Figure we would arrive in SA by 2pm. After searching the forums, I have a rough itinerary sketched out. But, not sure what to do the first day. We are staying at the Embassy Suites Riverwalk.

Option 1: San Fernando Cathedral, Spanish Governor's palace and Market Square (having dinner at Mi Tierra or La Margarita). Then take a river cruise and possibly the Tower of America for dessert (unless it's too dark by the time we get there).

Option 2: Visit all 4 Missions. (Not sure where to have dinner.) Then take river cruise and Tower of America.

I am leaning towards option 1 the first day and then we would visit the missions the last day before driving back to Houston, but wanted some expert opinions.

Thanks!

Edited: 12:54 pm, March 11, 2013
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which would you do on 1st day?

If you aren't getting to San Antonio until 2pm, you don't have time to do all four of the non-Alamo missions that day. They close at 5pm. It took us about 4 hours to visit 2 of them recently. We do take lots of pics and stop to read everything, but I still don't think three hours would be enough time to really appreciate all four.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,061 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which would you do on 1st day?

Option 1 would be my choice. All of the locations mentioned in option 1 are easily walkable from the Embassy Suites and after being in the car for most of the morning/early afternoon I would think checking into the hotel and then a leisurely stroll as described for option 1 and dinner at el Mercado would be much more pleasurable than buzzing around the Southside of town trying to see all the Missions before 5:00.

By the way, I think you will really enjoy the Embassy Suites. Our "new" favorite hotel on the riverwalk.

Edited: 2:13 pm, March 11, 2013
3. Re: Which would you do on 1st day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:46 am, March 12, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
103 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which would you do on 1st day?

I would also go with option 1. If you want to get the most out of the missions, it will take some time. There's a lot of walking if you want to see the entire compound at each one. Also, don't miss the introductory movie at the visitor's center. It helps put them in historical conext. If you want to eat as soon as you finish with the missions, Nicha's Comida Mexica has a location nearby. That's where I usually eat after visiting them. The downside to going there is that it's pretty popular and there might be a wait.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60956-d85…

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which would you do on 1st day?

I agree with the above posters about doing option 1, as stated a nice walk after a long drive.

In option 1 you may want to add the Alamo to it.

Definitely take the river cruise tour, it's very interesting & nice to see the riverwalk that way. www.rioSanAntonio.com

Definitely do desserts @ Tower of the Americas @ sunset.

If it's getting late you could do desserts than the River cruise last, it's very pretty in the evening as well.

Edited: 10:44 pm, March 12, 2013
6. Re: Which would you do on 1st day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 14, 2014