We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to rent a car around Riverwalk

wb
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Place to rent a car around Riverwalk

Staying around Riverwalk and decided to rent a car for the day and drive to Austin. Is there any rental car companies located around the Riverwalk or do we need to go to the airport for a rental car?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to rent a car around Riverwalk

There is a Hertz at the Marriott Riverplace on Bowie & Commerce. Also an Avis just north near the Alamo. Google Enterprise rent a car. Rentals are 40% cheaper if you stay away from the airport.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to rent a car around Riverwalk

There are car rental places in the downtown riverwalk area.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to rent a car around Riverwalk

I have a similar query. We are attending a Convention at the Riverwalk and want to rent a car afterwards for two to three weeks to tour Texas coming back to San Antonio for a couple of nights before flying back to the UK. Are the rentals really 40% cheaper downtown, polycoder, or did you just mean for the Enterprise site? I looked at the Marriott Hertz and, even with a Con promotion code, their prices were stupidly high. I've tried working out prices for a budget car online but I find most sites are remarkably reticent about what, exactly, all the insurance surcharges are going to be (LDW? SLP? Whatever else?). Anybody had recent experience with the downtown car rental companies? (Sorry about hijacking your post, needwarmvaca1, but your question closely matches mine.)

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to rent a car around Riverwalk

I always decline all of the insurances. I have USAA auto insurance, so I'm pretty well covered. I don't know about the status for folks from other countries.

Enterprise will pick you up. "Our Pick-Up Policy: Need a ride from your place to our place? We'll Pick You Up. ™ Book online now, then call your rental office at Tel.: (210) 924-3400 for details about our pick-up service. (Geographic restrictions apply)"

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to rent a car around Riverwalk

Actually some of the car rental places outside of downtown & airport could be a little cheaper but Enterprise as Octoboy stated will pick you up.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to rent a car around Riverwalk

The Hertz office at the Marriott was 40% cheaper than the Hertz at the airport. I found this to be true of any car rental prices at other destinations also.

To my chagrin, I found at Hertz Marriott that they had a poor selection of cars available on the day and had to drive a gus guzzler Cadillac that got 20 miles to the gallon instead of say Nissan Altima 28 mpg. Went to South Padre island & back.. Gas was a relatively low 3.36 a gallon at Tresoro/Valero(?) stations.

Also as the date of vacation approached, the difference between the airport price and marriott price narrowed to $86, so I was indeed flumoxed. I was chicken to cancel the Marriott, and take my financial lumps.

Penny wise, pound foolish?

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to rent a car around Riverwalk

Just got back from holiday. Hired a car from Enterprise via kayak.com. Very reasonable prices (apart from insurance) £490 for just under three weeks (inc. ins.). Great little car (travelled 2,200 miles around Texas). Easy, hassle-free service from Enterprise staff. They picked us up from our hotel at the Riverwalk Marriott and took us to their St Mary St base to collect the car. On our return to St Mary's St three weeks later they took the car and gave us a free ride back to the Travellodge near the Riverwalk. Cannot fault them (if anyone else is asking the same question).

8. Re: Place to rent a car around Riverwalk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 27, 2014