We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I live in San Antonio?

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Where should I live in San Antonio?

I will have temporary employment (several months) near Lackland. I've heard that traffic can be an issue in SA.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I live in San Antonio?

Do you want to stay near Lackland ??? what kind of place do you like, For example quiet, in busy area, Near restaurants & bars or what. SA is good size so we would need some more info enable to really help you.

If you are looking near Lackland than the Ingram area could be a good choice. I wouldn't get anything withing a 5 miles radius of Lackland kinda of a bad neighbor.

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I live in San Antonio?

Ha ha! I think near post/base everywhere is not the best place to live.

I've heard traffic can be bad? When we visited during Fiesta, that was very true. But it was during Fiesta.

Like a more upscale but would accept a more social area. I will be alone and would like to have some things to do.

Edited: 4:32 pm, October 04, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I live in San Antonio?

Downtown and near north side (Pearl Brewery and area) is experiencing a big boom in apartments. There is plenty to do in the area. The drive is about 20 minutes not including any slowdown at the gate.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I live in San Antonio?

I would suggest that you stay by Sea World, It would be very fast to get to Lackland from there.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I live in San Antonio?

If you don't like the Ingram area you could find good areas near SeaWorld or you could look in the Quarry area.

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should I live in San Antonio?

Quarry looks nice.

It appears there is no goood local newspaper to look in online. I've been on Craigslist and apartment finder sites. If you know of anywhere else I should look, please let me know. Thanks!

Level Contributor
101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should I live in San Antonio?

you can go to www.apartmentguide.com and enter San Antonio, Tx to check the area you'd like. There's more around the quarry but I have www.artessaatquarryvillage.com and www.the quarrytownhomes.com.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should I live in San Antonio?

What time do you have to be at work? Like any major city, we have our traffic. What do you want your commute time to be? Anywhere close to Lackland isn't going to be upscale. If you don't mind a little bit of travel time, I can point you in some nice locations!

Watertown, New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should I live in San Antonio?

I'd rather commute a bit- 30 minutes, than live in a dump or unsafe area, to be frank. My stipend is decent.

Thanks for the help.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should I live in San Antonio?

Depending on what time you'll be hitting the roads, you can definitely expect a commute of at least 30 minutes. Our highways have morning/afternoon rush hour. If you have leniency on reporting time to work, you can be further away from Lackland and not worry as much about the traffic.

That being said, I wouldn't live near Sea World. The area is experiencing lots of new construction and development, but it's still quite "spread out". More for families. Not a social scene. I grew up close to that area.

I would explore Stone Oak (upscale, gets kind of congested, VERY social area), Alamo Heights/Quarry area (again pretty upscale and social), and areas around Castle Hills (some parts are older, some really nice apartments/homes, and close to some cool restaurants, parks, and easy access to 3 of our major highways/interstates).

Don't live near Lackland. Someone mentioned the Pearl Brewery area. I'm not as familiar with that side of town but I've been back in that area a couple of times and it is pretty cool. You do have to be picky with anything near downtown. There's some neat housing between I10 and 281, near McCollough and Woodlawn/Mulberry/etc.. It's close to Brackenridge Park and 281, older area but very quaint. Not as familiar with living in that area, definitely a different vibe from Stone Oak or Alamo Heights... but I'd check it out. Maybe someone can give more advice on that area.

Each area of town is so different. There's a lot of hustle and bustle around the Med Center area. I lived over there for a while for school and when I first started my career, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend that area over any of the others I mentioned already.

Hope this doesn't confuse you even more!

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio