We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British tourist seeks adice

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
British tourist seeks adice

Hi all,

I am come over to Texas for a week with work and then a week vacation, which is involving a road trip from Houston, to Galveston (2days), across to San Antonio(2days) and then up to Austin(3days) before heading back down to Houston to fly back.

I'm coming out on Friday so will be in SA on 1st October.

As I've got two nights in SA, can you suggest some things to do? Anything a tourist must see.

Also can you suggest a budget for food? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,453 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British tourist seeks adice

lots of cheap Tex Mex in SA.... SA is the #1 tourist destination in TX..Alamo and Riverwalk..in season is Sea World

------

hotels.com for best rates

downtown riverwalk Drury Inn and Suites gets constant thumbs up for service, breakfast, rates etc.

a couple of restauants- info...Mi Tierra, Chris Madrid's hamburgers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUxOD0tJic

at Market Square

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEP4MtUC0r4

-------

downtown is Blanco Cafe..cheap, good Tex Mex... on N. St. Marys near Greyhound bus

Edited: 9:19 am, September 19, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British tourist seeks adice

When you come to SA you should stay on the Riverwalk as tejashombre suggest the Drury hotels is a great value for your money with lots of FREE amenities. www.druryhotels.com/properties/alamo.cfm

You also have the Embassy Suites as well www.embassysuitesriverwalk.com which is a good deal as well.

You didn't say what kind of hotel you are looking for, cheap, luxurious, historic, charming, or just simple or what ??? let us know your interest or personal preference. ??

Lots of good places to eat that are very reasonable.

When you arrive on the Riverwalk www.rioSanAntonio.com definitely take the river cruise tour which is a 45 min narrated cruise along the riverwalk with lots of good info + to get your bearings on the riverwalk.

A must eat is Boudro's www.boudros.com especially the guacamole prepared tableside with a yummy Prickly Pear Margarita.

You could visit the Alamo www.thealamo.org if you don't know the importance you could see the movie "Price of Freedom" @ the IMAX www.imax-sa.com at Rivercenter Mall www.shoprivercenter.com + visit the other Missions. www.nps.gov/saan

Visit the Tower of the Americas www.toweroftheamericas.com

Guenther House www.guentherhouse.com & have breakfast or lunch here as well.

Blue Star www.bluestarbrewing.com/

Visit Market Square www.marketsquaresa.com & grab a bite of some very good Tex Mex @ La Margarita www.lamargarita.com or Mi Tierra www.mitierracafe.com

Witte Museum www.wittemuseum.org

Do you just want to do things in the downtown area ??? or anywhere in SA since you have only 2 days.

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British tourist seeks adice

Pruske hits the nail on the head. As a fellow "Brit" the Alamo, Riverwalk Cruise and Tower of the Americas are the must dos.

Food - I know Boudros always gets a mention but if you are a solo traveller you tend to stick out amongst the couples having their pricky pear margaritas and table made guacamole.....I tend to hit the County Line for BBQ on the riverwalk.

Breakfast at Mi Tierra and a stroll round the shops in the Market Square are a must do.

Last time I went I bought a one day trolley pass and took a ride on all the trolley routes which let me see some of the areas I had missed before.

I recommend drinks at the Esquire Tavern which was mentioned in The Metro newspaper in the UK as one of the cool watering holes in San Antonio

I will be out on October 23rd and can't wait.......

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British tourist seeks adice

MJT I never thought about buying a day pass to see all of the sites. That is a great idea & a cheaper way of doing a tour of SA to see the main attraction area & especially when a person will be here for a short period of time.

Here is the website for the trolley/streetcar www.viainfo.net//Busservice/Streetcar.aspx

Here is a website for Hotel hot deals

www.visitSanAntonio.com/SAVE click on hotels to see the hot deals.

5. Re: British tourist seeks adice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, December 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio