We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think about our trip plan?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What do you think about our trip plan?

Hi All,

So, finally we made up our mind to go for a trip to San Antonio in Texas summer. We are driving to San Antonio from Dallas on July th. We will return on July 8th. We are a family of 4 with two kids - 6 years and 2 years old.

Day 1

Leave at 8.30 a.m. With two small kids, we expect to take breaks and reach San Antonio around 2.30 to 3 p.m. We have planned to have lunch when we reach Austin.

Go to Hotel Best Western Sunset Suites Riverwalk Plus. It is on East Commerce Street and very close to Rivercenter mall.

Relax at hotel and then go to San Antonio Children's Museum at 4.30 p.m. or so. The museum is open until 6 p.m. so spend time there.

Spend time on Riverwalk and go for dinner at Chinense/ Thai /Italian restaurant then return to hotel.

Day 2

After breakfast at hotel, head to Seaworld and spend entire day (until 7 p.m. or so) at Seaworld. Then go for dinner on our way back to the hotel.

Day 3

same as day 2 except that we will return from Seaworld at 5 p.m. or so. We will return to hotel to park our car then walk to Rivercenter mall to get ticket for Rio San Antonio cruise from the place near the mall. Board the cruise and then spend the entire evening in Riverwalk area. Go for dinner and return to hotel

Day 4.

After getting breakfast, check out and drive back to Dallas, Texas.

With two small kids, we didn't want to try too many things. We are not sure if we will be able to check out all of Sea world shows in one day hence we have planned to go for two days.

So what do you guys think about our plan? Any suggestions? Do we need to buy cruise tickets online?

We are not interested in going to Six Flags or Zoo (we have been doing that in Dallas for last one month LOL).

Thanks a ton in advance!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you think about our trip plan?

Okay, I read it twice and due to the 101 plus temperatures with 2 very young children I have a few comments.

Regarding the river cruise you are planning on doing it on day 3 after driving back downtown in heavy traffic of people who are getting off work in a major city. Plus the heat at Seaworld all day will have a huge affect on you. That said I don't think I would feel like 3 more hours of downtown sightseeing and a meal. I'd want a hot bath and a TV set, but that's me.

What I'm wondering is it might me more feasible to do the river cruise and nice dinner immediately after the Children's Museum. The river cruise moves rather slow and goes a long way before it turns and comes back to drop off.

Also, did you know that your hotel is on the Yellow Route for the streetcars that run early morning until late at night in the downtown and surrounding tourist areas?

www.viainfo.net/BusService/StreetcarMap.aspx

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,304 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you think about our trip plan?

across from Children's museum, walk the children through the lobby of the Buckhorn Saloon museum..

you will also see a Walgreens across from CM in case you need liquids or snacks for the kiddos

FYI, near Sea World entrance is a Mickey D's and a Rudy's BBQ

if you have the energy, I'd see the latest Shamu show..simply better in the evening.

--------

check a map from downtown to Sea World...I prefer taking I-35 south a short distance in the direction of Laredo, then take HWY 90 west and then that will get you to Hwy 151 to SW.... not so congested as taking I-10, Loop 410

take the trolley over to Market Square..to Mi Tierra, 24/7 decorated in Christmas year round, Mexican bakery...lively place

strolling Mariachis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUxOD0tJic

Edited: 1:41 am, July 04, 2012
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you think about our trip plan?

Georgetowngal and Tejas, Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions. I am inclined to do cruiseride on day 1 but I am not if we will be able to do it after the museum. Will see.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you think about our trip plan?

I do agree with Georgetowngal that you should do the River cruise on Day 1.

You didn't mention about seeing the Alamo www.thealamo.org + it may be nice to see the movie 1st at Rivercenter Mall @ the IMAX www.imax-sa.com the movie is "Price of Freedom" then visit the Alamo.

Also on you way back to Dallas you may want to stop at Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch outside of SA www.wildliferanchtexas.com

I also agree with Tejashombre about going to Market Square www.marketsquaresa.com & grabbing some real good Tex Mex @ Mi Tierra www.mitierracafe.com & the kids will like the X-mas lights & the good food + a fun atmosphere.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
616 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you think about our trip plan?

I also agree that the night Shamu show is really good. We went to Sea World many years ago with kids around that age and split our day. We got there when it opened in the AM, around 10, I think. We saw a good bit of the park/shows, etc. and went back to our hotel for an afternoon break around 2:30 or 3 or so. We let our youngest nap, let our oldest play in the pool a little and then quietly watch TV (a movie on the computer now, maybe) and then went back to Sea World about 7 for the night shows. We were able to stay at the park till 10 or a little later.

You know your kids schedules and how tired they might be, etc. I would say at least think about doing this one of the Sea World days. The night shows are different from the day shows and it would be cooler, too.

6. Re: What do you think about our trip plan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:48 pm, July 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio