We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Improving our BIG Anniversary Visit in Sept

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SK home
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for Improving our BIG Anniversary Visit in Sept

My wife and I are two seniors who will soon be celebrating our 50th anniversary and my wife’s 70th birthday. We plan on celebrating these “BIG ONES” with a visit to the Riverwalk for 3 nights (2 -1/2 days) in mid-to-late September. This will be our first, and probably our last visit to San Antonio, and we’d like to make it “special”. Cost will not be an issue on this trip. I’m looking for suggestions and tips on improving the following plan.

Hotel: An Ambassador Riverview room at Omni La Mansion del Rio, and hopefully with a private balcony, and not too high up. We signed up for the “Rio package” which includes daily breakfast at Las Canarias, a 35-40 minute Rio San Antonio River Cruise, and free valet parking. We also signed up for the Omni Select Guest program that provides a few more amenities, like a daily newspaper and ‘complementary morning beverage delivery’ (hope that means coffee).

Transportation: We probably won’t need a rental car, but we’ll get one anyway. This will allow us to stop on our way to the hotel (from the airport) for lunch, to stock up on “goodies” and drinks for our stay, plus give us some flexibility in case we decide to venture out and away from the Riverwalk area. Around the Riverwalk we plan on short walking strolls or use the river taxi. (Can’t walk too far at a time due to COPD)

Arrival Day: Our early am departure, 5 hour flight gets us to SA in late morning. Plan is to stop for lunch somewhere between airport and hotel (??); stop for “goodies” and drinks, and do an “early arrival” around 1 pm at the hotel. Then plan on taking the river cruise to get oriented. Later, if the room is available, may have to take a short siesta to prepare for the evening activities :>). The evening will begin with some wine and cheese on our balcony, followed by a nice dinner somewhere. (Suggestions?). We’ll probably be ready to retire shortly after “Florida midnight” – around 9 pm.

First Full Day: After breakfast at Las Canarias, we’ll head over to the IMAX theater for the movie "Price of Freedom", followed by a ‘must see’ visit to the Alamo. The rest of the day will be strolling around the Riverwalk, some shopping where my wife will surely find some things to buy. Lunch is TBD, depending where we end up around noon. Late afternoon will find us back at the hotel for some R&R and our wine and cheese ritual, followed by a great Texas steak at Bohanan's. The evening may conclude with some ‘people watching’ from our balcony, sipping on some wine, discussing what-to-do on day three.

Second Full Day: Wide open TBD – Perhaps today will include the Alamo Trolley Tour and/or maybe we’ll take our rental car out for a spin, especially if we are low on wine. Dinner may be as simple as dropping down from our room to Las Canarias, unless we’ve discovered some other interesting place to try. The day will probably end sometime after ‘Florida midnight’ - much like the previous day.

Last Day: Having a mid-morning flight home, we’ll linger and enjoy our last breakfast at Las Canarias before packing up and heading for the airport.

What changes would you make to our plan?-

Houston
Level Contributor
60 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Improving our BIG Anniversary Visit in Sept

Congratulatons on your 50th!

For your shopping day, I'd highly suggest a trip around the La Villita area. Lots of artisan type places to visit.

Since you'll have a car, visiting the missions around San Antonio can be really enjoyable. Though I don't normally do organized tours, we did one as part of a convention a few years ago and found it to be very fun. We did a self tour of the missions with the kids a few years later and that was also enjoyable.

The King William District is a great place for shopping, browsing, and enjoying coffee or lunch.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Improving our BIG Anniversary Visit in Sept

Congrats on the 50th !!!!

For where to eat on the Riverwalk definitely try Boudro's www.boudros.com you can't go wrong here especially for special occasion.

Also go to Market Square www.marketsquaresa.com & get yourself some very good Tex Mex either # Mi Tierra www.mitierracafe.com or La Margarita www.lamargarita.com you try some Tex Mex while here but skip the Riverwalk on this.

You did an excellent job on research & have a fantastic itinerary so great job on that so I believe you'll have a great time in SA

BTW you may want to take the Horse Carriage ride around in the downtown area which I think can be very romantic. www.yellowrosecarriage.com

Have a great visit.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Improving our BIG Anniversary Visit in Sept

Goodies - no better place than Central Market. From 281 south exit Hilderbrand turn left (east) to Broadway turn left (north) a couple of blocks on the left. You can eat there. They have sandwiches, burgers, stir fry made to order; sushi, prepared foods like salads, salad bar, soup, and a few hot prepared dishes. They have a great beer and wine selections. You can drink them with you lunch if you would like.

There are other great lunch spots in the vicinity. W.D. Deli, Goodtime Charlies, Picante Grill, Cheesy Janes, Boardwalk Bistro.

From there I would recommend driving south to down town on Broadway. It's a straight shot and you'll pass the Pearl Brewery (an up and coming shopping area.) http://atpearl.com/ There's a cool mid-century modern shop Mod Pad http://www.mod-pad.com/ before the Pearl.

As you get towards downtown Broadway becomes one way and changes into LaSoya at Houston St. The next street is College St. turn right and go one block. La mansion is on your left.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Improving our BIG Anniversary Visit in Sept

For the second day - what interests do you have? I can recommend a full day of art museumes, galleries and shopping. I can recommend a trip to Natural Bridge Caverns and then on to Gruene, I can recommend zoo and botanical gardens. I can recommend the other missions and other historical sites. It really depends on what you like.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,934 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Improving our BIG Anniversary Visit in Sept

well you certainly have not gone wrong with Las Canarias..you should enjoy it very much...their brunch is rated among the top in SA

I would suggest taking a stroll over to the King William Historic District to look at the original German neighborhod..... even though you have breakfast planned..you could stroll over to Guenther House for pastry or another cup of coffee...at the least visit the family house (restaurant and gift shop)

www.guentherhouse.com

self-walking guide/map of King William homes

saconservation.org/tours/sitevisits_kingwill…

on the north bank of the river you can find Southwest Craft Center/the original Ursuline Academy..nice grounds and a nice lunch spot during weekedays called the Copper Kitchen

http://www.swschool.org/visit/cafe

a nice museum style shop with hand crafted items

as well, next door you can take a peek at the central library to see Dale Chihuly glass sculpture

…qondio.com/the-san-antonio-central-library-…

enjoy and happy anniversary!

Edited: 3:59 am, June 21, 2012
6. Re: Suggestions for Improving our BIG Anniversary Visit in Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:51 am, February 26, 2014
SK home
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Improving our BIG Anniversary Visit in Sept

Many thanks to all the SA experts who are helping me set up our BIG ONE itinerary. So many great suggestions! Here’s what we’re trying to fit into our trip: (I hope we’re not being too optimistic in fitting in all these activities.)

On our way to the hotel, we’ll stop at Central Market to stock up our room and have some lunch. (Thanks Octoboy for the recommendation and driving instructions)

Shopping: La Villita and Market Square (and a pastry at Mi Tierra – they look yummy on their web site pictures); Fiesta on Main looks interesting for Tex/Mex stuff. Not sure if we’ll have enough time to do all of these, but we’ll try.

Touring: We’d like to see the King William Historic District, but to minimize walking, we’re going to go for a horse drawn carriage tour, plus, if we can, add-on a tour of the downtown. Our experience is that having a knowledgeable tour guide helps in getting the “flavor” of the history and culture. This may be scheduled after out IMAX + Alamo tour on our first full day.

Eating: Boudro’s looks like a highly recommended place to try …. if the wait is not too long. I’m not fond of waiting too long to get a table, and dinner at 5 pm is too early for us. From what I’ve read, one may have to wait awhile, even with reservations. Lunch may be better for this place. Maybe between the IMAX + Alamo and the carriage tour, but we’ll see. We don’t want to over-eat and have a problem downing our steak that evening.

Regarding Bohanan’s, I read that we should expect to pay $100+/pp for a steak. Sure hope it’s memorable, and the wait time is not too long. Any tips on how to maximize this experience, such as the perfect table, best drinks, etc.?

Thanks for all of the congrats on reaching our 50th anniversary. This trip is the “kick-off” of a month of fun celebratory activities … some of which are surprises (??) planned by our children. Hope we make it through it all!!!

8. Re: Suggestions for Improving our BIG Anniversary Visit in Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, June 25, 2013