We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,934 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

looking at the rendering for the elevated patio looks horrible...can't believe any review board would allow it ..off hand, looks like they're .junkin' up the river walk !..looks like a pedestal for a mobile home ...hopefully I'm wrong

===========================================

If everything goes as planned, what was once The Landing will soon be called The Worm. It’s an ambitious project by Chris Erck, who is keeping the live music, but also expanding the club to the River Walk banks. Patio seating will be added to the space that includes a newly-constructed balcony overlooking the River Walk bend. Erck hopes to open The Worm in early June.

“It will be jazz, salsa — an eclectic mix,” Erck said.

For now, Erck is staying hush on the details, but he said tequila will be a big component of the new club (hence the name) and that it will be the “first of its kind for San Antonio.”

“We’re getting a little bit of interest from a lot of people that want to know what’s going on, because of the history of what had been there,” Erck said. “We are starting a new tradition and a new legacy business for the River Walk.”

Erck did say the club would contain an outdoor bar within The Worm’s footprint, not necessarily to-go service for passersby.

The space on the river level of the Hyatt Regency hotel was the home of the Jim Cullum Jazz Band for almost 50 years.

Edited: 2:06 am, May 12, 2012
Marlin Texas USA
Level Contributor
248 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

We'll sincerely miss The Landing, with the good jazz, good dining, and great people watching from the outside area.

"The Worm" doesn't even sound inviting. We'll give it a miss on our next trip to San Antonio.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

The Worm? Really?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

All right folks, I know the Landing was an institution, but speaking from the point of view of a huge music fan that is not a huge Jazz fan, maybe it's time for a change.

The Worm is obviously a take on the worm often found in cheap Mescal. Edgy and aimed at a younger crowd, it sounds like the venue is going to focus on the bar aspect. There is a big surge in high end cocktails at the moment.

Jim Cullum can still be found around town, I recently saw him at Bohannans. For modern eclectic (still not my favorite cup of tea) jazz, Carmen De Calle consistently provides good choices. If you're into big band, Tuesdays at Blue Star usually hase some great tallent. Large groups of school band teachers come together to perform things they truly love. And Ken Slavin still is crooning away at various restaurants on the weekends.

It is sad to see an institution disappear

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

I agree it will be sad to see an institution of SA Riverwalk disappear but as Octoboy said there are always new changes going on & hopefully it will be good for the Riverwalk. We'll have to wait & see how it goes ??!!!!!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

Thanks for explaining about the Worm- I wasn't making the connection! ;-)

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,934 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

it's not so much the passing of the Landing, it is the replacement..there are already enough drinking establishments to get drunk OYA

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

I was downtown last weekend, and saw the "worm". Took a look inside and saw purple bar stools, a new stage (much smaller than the original) and some menus lying on a table. I could see drinks started at around 20 bucks and made their way into the 70's......for drinks! Wonder how long this venue will grace the banks of the River Walk....

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

The trend in bars right now is for high end quality over cheap booze. Last night I went and had a cocktail at the Brooklynite before going to see music at Sam's. I had one (exquisit) drink at BKSA instead of 3-5 cheap drinks at Sam's (as I used to do.) Better for my health and more interesting. I assume that's what the Worm Is counting on.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,064 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

Craft bars and the new "it" thing everywhere. San Antonio has a website and a Facebook page about some of them. FB page is called Alamo City Cocktails.

http://www.alamocitycocktails.com is the website.

…wordpress.com/2012/…

Here is a video from Brooklynite:

clipsyndicate.com/video/…

http://www.sa-coco.com/acceuil.html

http://www.esquiretavern-sa.com

sanantonioman.com/issues/…feature

10. Re: The Landing location to be called "The Worm"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 16, 2013