We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Weeki Wachee...
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants

We're staying at the Westin Riverwalk Mar 29 to Apr 1. I would appreciate suggestions for Mexican or casual local type restaurants within 1 or 2 miles. We don't mind walking and don't want to bother with our car.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,355 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

Check out the other threads on SA forums for the long answers. Short Answer - Rosarios, Azuca, Guenther House, Blue Star, El Maridor. Touristy - Mi Tierra''s.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

Hi highbay...we "know" each other from another board. I hope you enjoy your trip to San Antonio! It's a lovely city, but darn, do I miss the water!

Most everything here is pretty casual, not to worry. We really enjoy Rosario's and Guenther House that Octoboy mentioned (Guenther House for lunch or breakfast). If you do Guenther House, be sure to take a walk down King William St...a section of old San Antonio that most tourists unfortunately never see. You will be practically across the street from it at Guenther House. I'm not sure how much of a walker you are--I could do both Rosarios and Guenther House from the Marriott with no problem (I routinely walk Saturdays from the Hyatt on the Riverwalk as far as the sidewalk goes, which puts you in the King William district not far from the Guenther House.) You might also enjoy Boudros for another meal. It's especially nice if you can get a table outside along the river. Food is good, not fabulous, but the guacamole salad for two borders on it. :> If you want one high end meal, I'd recommend Pesca...one of the best meals we've had downtown.

Enjoy your trip...

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Oops...you are staying at Westin, not Marriott. That'll make your walk even shorter if you decide to hoof it.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

i agree with OO & O'boy and would like to also second their recommendations for Rosarios, El Mirador (my favorite Mexican food restaurant in the world), Guenther House, Boudros, & Pesca at Westin. All have very good, tasty food. unfortunately, most of the restaurants on the Riverwalk are not that great - maybe good for a drink & chips/salsa...but that's about it. a very unusual place to visit (not necessarily for the food) is the Buckhorn: http://www.buckhornmuseum.com/

there's a fantastic new Starbucks close to the Westin, where you can listen to music and burn your own CD's. a few blocks north of the Westin is the Blanco Cafe, which has pretty good Tex-Mex at fantastic prices - definitely a local hangout for breakfast/lunch.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

ok. i'm a dork. i just had a brain f@rt. i was thinking Watermark...not Westin. so, Pesca is at the Watermark and all references to Westin were really Watermark. regardless, the places mentioned are worth the walk. 8-)

Weeki Wachee...
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

Thanks everyone for your responses! We are here and will try your recommendations.

Hi OO! Love your new town, and boy is the Riverwalk nice. We are big walkers, so if there any other suggestions...bring it on!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,355 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

Welcome - For walking - Sea World and Botanical Gardens.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants

Hi highbay and welcome to San Antonio. Yes...the Riverwalk can be tres romantique, can't it? I love it especially on a weekday evening when it's quieter. That's a fine walk in itself. My Saturday walks go from the Hyatt as far down the river as the sidewalk extends, exit the river and walk down the side street to King William St, down King William to Guenther then up the other side of KW til the end (St Mary's or S Alamo St, can't remember which), right, then right again on Madison, and walk that to Guenther (as far as Madison goes), then do some zigging and zagging in smaller areas of King William then head on back to the hotel...about 2 hours of zigs and zags all so enjoyable and a nice break from my normal neighborhood walking routine. King William and Madison are the best of King William district, but some of the smaller streets (Adams and the streets paralleling it) are fun as they are very much in flux. I love seeing what those dilapidated little cottages (some very similar to what you find today in Hyde Park section of Tampa) can become with a little TLC. King William St though, is far from dilapidated...the homes, dating to the mid to late 1800's are gorgeous. Time flies on this walk looking at all the sights.

If you find yourselves with time on your hands, and you have a car, I highly recommend Natural Bridge Caverns north on 35 out near where we live. It's about 40 minutes from downtown to the caverns and they are so impressive. We just had friends here from England and aside from Riverwalk, that might have been their favorite touring.

The missions too....I especially love San Jose and Concepción.

We are so hospitable we ordered up a little humidity just for you. When you get home...please take a walk for me at Ft Desoto!! :> Enjoy....

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants

Highbay, I just realized I didn't do much of a job getting you started in the right direction on your walk!

When you leave the Westin, cross over the bridge so you are walking the river on the opposite side from the hotel. Head away from the busy section of Riverwalk, not toward it, and you'll find yourself in the King William District. There is one spot where it looks as if the riverwalk sidewalk has ended...you go up some stairs...but if you keep walking straight ahead across the sandy area for about 10 yds, you'll see stairs back down again and the walk continues. I have found the entire riverwalk in this area to be ultra safe, no worries at all...it becomes quiet and peaceful...you'll see the backs of old homes, blue herons and an occasional night heron even, reminding you of home. Sorry...you could have walked forever in the wrong direction...I wasn't thinking!

Weeki Wachee...
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants

Hi everyone!

Great suggestions! We ate breakfast @ Blanco Cafe this morning and you were right TexasHam...we had a very good, inexpensive meal. We did "Lulu's" for lunch as recommended by Southern Living this month (under the 40 things every Southerner should do!) and ate too much. Walked the rest of the day.

Thanks for the Riverwalk tips OO! Gotta do that if we are even thinking of eating again!

Thanks again to everyone