We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How advantageous is Spanish fluency in San Antonio?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How advantageous is Spanish fluency in San Antonio?

Hello all,

My wife and I are considering relocating to San Antonio for several reasons, e.g., strong, growing economy, low cost of living, and of course, great weather. Another reason (at least in my mind) is that my wife speaks fluent Spanish (she is a native of Colombia, South America). She does not currently work now, and I feel that she could get a job in health care (her background) very easily in San Antonio because she speaks Spanish? (she also speaks English, btw). She maintains that Spanish would not be an advantage in San Antonio because the majority of the population already speaks it, and that she would be more "marketable" and in demand if we moved to a city with a small Spanish-speaking population. Any thoughts on this? Is fluency in Spanish a competitive advantage in landing a good job in SA?

Thanks very much for your responses.

Mentioned in this post
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How advantageous is Spanish fluency in San Antonio?

I know some people down here who have parents from Mexico, and they don't speak any Spanish! However, there are definitely people down here that only speak Spanish - it seems that it's usually older folks or people who just came here from Mexico. "Yo hablo poquito, pero necessito practicar mas." (I speak a little, but I need to practice more.) I think being fluent in Spanish can only help, and I recently saw some positions at Washington Mutual requesting bilingual speakers: http://wamu.com Also, try USAA (http://usaa.com) and the new Toyota plant. They are building new hospitals and doctor's offices in the north part of town...maybe someone else can give you info on the healthcare industry. Best of luck!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How advantageous is Spanish fluency in San Antonio?

I'd say, definitely. Many want-ads specify bilingual.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How advantageous is Spanish fluency in San Antonio?

I'd certainly say it's an advantage, especially if it's 'real' Spanish. Much of what one one hears on the border is a hybrid Tex-Mex version, and folks from 'away' have trouble understanding it.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How advantageous is Spanish fluency in San Antonio?

Wow. Yes...she will be in demand! What we've found both in Tampa and now here, is that plenty of people stay pretty much within their own communities, where they speak their native language, and therefore never learn this one, despite being here for years!

For the rest of us...many rely on long gone high school or college Spanish. I had both, and find when I need to speak French, all I can think of are Spanish words and vice versa. Our next door neighbor, recently moved here from Knoxville says she found that having some Spanish was almost a pre-requisite for jobs she was looking for (insurance).

My husband, in the hotel business, would kill for bi-lingual department heads!

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How advantageous is Spanish fluency in San Antonio?

I agree 00..Although I run a department in a Hotel,It could not be Banquets or Housekeeping..In a medical setting,from a professional level,Latin is more helpful..In San Antonio though,It is crucial to be able to communicate to your patients,and a majority of them will be Spanish speaking..Your wife will have no problem finding work here...

Mentioned in this post
San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
577 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How advantageous is Spanish fluency in San Antonio?

Yes, it is an advantage in landing some jobs. I was recruited for a position because I spoke Spanish and the company needed a liason for their Mexican operations. I declined the offer because I didn't feel I was fluent enough to have business meetings strictly in Spanish, but still the fact remains that it was an opportunity because I spoke Spanish. Although you may be more marketable and in more demand in cities with a smaller Spanish speaking population, you will also have less opportunities. Due to the large Spanish speaking population in this city there will always be opportunities for Spanish speaking professionals.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,684 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How advantageous is Spanish fluency in San Antonio?

You sure will have an advantage - Saw a sign in a retail store yesterday that said something to the effect of, "Accepting applications, must be able to speak both languages."

Ann Arbor, Michigan
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How advantageous is Spanish fluency in San Antonio?

Great. Thank you all for responses. Very helpful!

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio