We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why San Antonio?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Why San Antonio?

I am from the Northeast and will be moving to the South in the summer. Our first choice is Jacksonville(st john's county), but I am trying to make sure this a good move. I've considered Austin, but the air quality is not good for kids(asthma), because of dirty air. I also looking at SA which has cleaner air and VERY affordable houses, the drawback is no ocean and palm trees compared to Jax. I am looking for opinions on why San Antonio would be better. Nightlife, quality of life, education, network engineering jobs, any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Bad Wolf Ghost Tours
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling
Breweries, Distilleries, Beer Tastings & Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Distillery Tours
The Barwalk
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Why San Antonio?

My husband is a network engineer and if you are looking for prevalent opportunities in that field, you should reconsider Austin.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why San Antonio?

Total cost of living is one of the best things for me. San Antonio is a working class town, as such we have a hard time supporting things like professional sports, classical music, fancy restaurants. The flip side is lots of down-to-earth establishments. Check out some of the other threads to see specifics. The blend of the Mexican and American cultures is an attraction for many also. I like the proximity to other cities - Austin, Houston. Now proximity in Texas is different from proximity on the east coast. Houston is a three hour drive, reasonable (here) for a day trip. If you apply the same standards to Jacksonville, you can get to Orlando, and Atlanta(?) My point is that that argument may not hold water as an advantage.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why San Antonio?

Right now my husband works from home and will continue to do so for the time being, so he doesn't have to look for work when we would get there. I am looking at more, towards the future. Austin is out of the question because our first and foremost priority would be better air quality (cleaner) than NJ which Austin would not be an improvement. My daughter has asthma and air quality could greatly affect that, it is something most people overlook. Most people think humidity is the worst for asthma, but cities with dirty air have more cases of children with asthma and other lung and heart problems.

What is the nightlife, quality of life, or anything that is better in SA than Jax? Any opinions would be great.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why San Antonio?

I've never experienced Jacksonville so comparing is hard. What kind of night life are we talking about? I love the opportunities for live music here. Because of our proximity to Austin we get lots of regional and national musicians performing. I'm talking great musicians just out of the mainstream, not the super star pop types. My experience though is that there are very few folks that take advantage of this. So that may not be important to you. We are a tourist destination, so downtown has the requiescat chains - Hard Rock, Howl at the Moon, Pat O'Brien's. Coyote Ugly, etc. But SA is not a 24/7 party city like New Orleans (was) or even Austin. I like the dichotomy of SA large city small town feel. We have an underground bumper sticker here that I think sums it up well, it proclaims "Keep San Antonio Lame."

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why San Antonio?

Thank you, what I meant was, "Are there things to do, if my husband and I were to go out one night" definitely not New Orleans or 24/7, not interested in that. Jax is nice, very green and yet growing. Having the beach so close is a plus and the St Johns River, plus the palm trees. But as far as the people and where to raise a family is important. I like the fact that U of Texas is in SA and the housing in the northside is so much more affordable. What are people like in general. Is it more conservative or liberal like New Orleans? What is the main driving force in SA's economy? Are the arts important, or sports or whatever?

If you had to sell me SA, what would you say?

Thank you so much.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why San Antonio?

There's plenty to do, particularly family activities. We get the major touring shows. I've got tickets for Lion King and Cirque. We have several large event venues with home and RV and boat and car shows. We host many national conventions. We're a huge tourist destination with the Alamo, The Riverwalk, Sea World, and A Six Flags theme park. There's Fiesta in the spring and rodeo in the winter. Just north is the Hill Country with rivers and lakes, many of the new housing areas are moving in that direction. We're a shopping destination for wealthy Mexican Nationals with two upscale malls and outlet shopping about 30 minutes north.

SA is fairly conservative, but quite diverse. Large Hispanic population, large Catholic population, lots of military (active duty and retiree) from all sorts of backgrounds. People in general are working class folks, down to earth. We have our enclaves: the Dominion, Alamo Heights with expensive (multimillion dollar) homes.

Our economy is pretty diversified tourism, military, biomedical, and now manufacturing are the top employers. Texas in general and SA in particular, is pro business, right to work. We have few restrictions on businesses. For example we are just now discussing an ordinance to protect trees, where Austin has had one for at least a dozen years.

Arts are not the top priority here, I feel because so many folks are in the working class with less disposable income. Austin is much more liberal and artsy, about a 90 minute drive. So certainly accessible.

Sports - we're a one horse town Go Spurs Go. We do have other things, have had the final Four College Basketball a couple of times. We have the Alamo Bowl. We've had regional Olympic competitions. There's a (2A?) baseball team. And of course, high school football is king in Texas.

Weather is hot for about 6 months, warm for about 2 or 3 months, with a hint of winter. So far this year, I think we've had about six nights where we went below freezing. As I've stated before, air conditioning, beer, rivers and lakes are our saviors, folks quickly learn to cope.

All in all, I love SA - might not be my very first choice for living, but with all things considered it's been my home for more than 21 years now. I guess I would have moved by now, if I really wanted to.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why San Antonio?

Octoboy, Thank you so much, that was great!

Nowata, oklahoma
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Why San Antonio?

I found a web site that may help you it is called www.findyourspot.com, it is a quiz like site that will help you find a place you are looking for! One time or another we wanted to move to Wyoming and I took that quiz it helped me decide to stay where I live! We will be visiting SA in April for buisness and looking forword to it!!

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why San Antonio?

I'm not aware of Austin's air being bad? How do you mean??

We moved here in '05 from Tampa and I've actually enjoyed our first summer--cooler than those in FL because the humidity is so much lower. There are palm trees here, mostly of the palmetto variety, but those are the same ones JAX has...JAX is not far enough south to have the pretty tall Washingtonians or date or coconut palms. (Actually I've seen a couple Washingtonians in the King William district here!) I do miss the beach, yup...no water. Big drawback for us, too.

One of my good friends moved from New Jersey to JAX 2 years ago. They had lived close to NYC, missed it desperately and hated the heat in JAX. Worse though, for her, was hurricane season (not even the bad one of 2005, but 2004's season.) JAX is in a good location in that they are seldom if ever a direct hit, but they do get brushed and it stressed her out no end preparing for them (as you must do...likelihood or not). Her JAX yard was full of tall pines--she had visions of them coming through her roof and she did in fact lose some in one storm as well as power for a couple of days. That is something for you to think about. It drove them out...they've moved to the Pacific Northwest now. I sure dont'miss the hurricanes and I don't miss the daily afternoon thunderstorms all summer either! That's a fact of life in FL in the summer, although JAX might not have the severity of storms that Tampa had.

Of the two, SA is the bigger city, but it has a smaller town feel probably. JAX is up and coming...but hasn't yet arrived and one of the things my friend missed there was the symphony and ballet sort of activities that they had at their doorstep in NJ. It wasn't there...and it really isn't here either. Well...it is, but not to the degree you would expect for the 8th largest city in the US!!

Have you visited both cities? I'd take a week in the summer and visit each--if you can handle it in the summer either here or there, you'll be fine the rest of the year.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Why San Antonio?

Thank you all for giving me so much to think about.

OO, actually as I have been doing some more research on San Antonio, I have realized that it too has bad air. What I mean is the air is unhealthy for kids (especially ozone) and the general public over time. This was never an issue for me until my daughter suffered her first major asthma attack (never had health issues before at all). Then I started to read up about asthma, so I would be informed and have realized how air quality can affect not only asthmatics, but healthy children, adults, and the elderly. I'm not an environmentalist or anything, on the contrary I'm more on the conservative side. Then I started reading and realized the environmentalist argument about the environment should be given some thought, whatever side of aisle your from. Over time air pollution can cause so much damage to everyone. If you want to read up about it go to www.sanantonio.gov/ENVIRO/EMD/AIRQUALITY.ASP…

they have some good info. on SA and you can click on links to find out how it all works, also there is www.lungusa.org

or do a google search: State of the Air 2005 and you can find out about every county in every state.

Thank you so much and I'll also be looking at Cameron County in Texas (Rio Grande Valley) which has very healthy air, But I don't know anything about it.