We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young couple, relocating to SA from FL, visiting this...

Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Young couple, relocating to SA from FL, visiting this...

We are a 'young' couple in our late 20's/30's visitng SA this weekend with notions of relocation. We are working out where we may like to start a family and are restricted my expensive property in other parts of the country. Are there definitive positives and negatives about San Antonio? Is this a city where 'young' people thrive? We are based in Florida. Thanks, Bella.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young couple, relocating to SA from FL, visiting this...

I moved here when I was 26 over 20 years ago. Married with two girls, we loved raising our children in SA. Still do, have a third one, a boy, almost 16. He is able to do many of the types of things associated with small town life here, like hanging out at the schools' playgrounds in the evenings. We live in SA but Alamo Heights School District, near north east inside loop 410. SA definitely has a small town feel with city perks. Lot's to do every weekend. It's proximity to natural recreation areas (Hill Country) and Austin, provide lots of leisure activities. Usually head that way once or twice a month. Houston and Dallas provide even bigger city activities like professional sports or ballet or opera. We'll travel there 3 or 4 times a year.

jvj
California
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Young couple, relocating to SA from FL, visiting this...

Hi Bella, we are also relocating to San Antonio. We are moving in June, from California. We are new to the area as well. We flew down in September and purchased a home that weekend. I have done lots of research and feel that San Antonio is a great place to raise a family. I have two girls and a boy. Good luck

Becky

Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Young couple, relocating to SA from FL, visiting this...

i am amazed at how many californians move to san antonio... it's really interesting. we are looking this weekend... where did you look? what did you find? bella.

jvj
California
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Young couple, relocating to SA from FL, visiting this...

We bought a David Weekley home. They have a wonderful open floor plan, which is what I really liked. They are located in the Trinity Estates. I looked and looked and that is the house that I fell in love with.

I don't know how the homes are in Florida, but in California, the masterbeds are all located upstairs ( at least most of them are), in Texas 90% of the master bedrooms are downstairs. So I had to get used to that. That's why I went with the David Weekly even thou the master was down stairs the openest didn't bother me, and the customer service is wonderful.

I would recommend you stop by.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young couple, relocating to SA from FL, visiting this...

SA is great place for young'uns, even though you see lots of retirees. It may be the 10th largest city in the US, but it feels smaller.

Houses are laughably cheap, the people are friendly, the food is wonderful, you're close to the Hill Country and the Gulf of Mexico, it has an international flavor, you have lots of colleges, etc.... I've always said that it's like San Fran or New Orleans in that it has a unique feel to it.

The only negatives might be the Texas heat in the summer (get used to it-you'll have wonderful weather the rest of the year), the lack of a major airport (like DFW or O'Hare), and maybe the crime on the south side and down towards Mexico.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young couple, relocating to SA from FL, visiting this...

Personally,I think Austin would be better for you guy's...The city as a whole,is more upscale than SA..What has been attracting everyone lately to San Antonio,is the housing..I have been looking to buy another investment home here..Wait till you see what you can get for your money..Overall,the climate is very good..In the summer,there are 7 lakes,and several rivers to cool off in,within a 75 mile radius..The Coast is a 3 hour drive..There also is THE SPURS...The other negatives are:Unless you can afford private schooling,to send your kid's to a good school,it means very high Taxes..Also auto insurance is higher,because of the many uninsured motorists..

jvj
California
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Young couple, relocating to SA from FL, visiting this...

Hi Bella, How did you trip go? Let me know if you are moving or considering. Did you get a chance to look at the David Weekly Homes.

JVJ

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio