We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

info required

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
info required

I just booked the Travelodge Alamo at Broadway St for Feb. I read in here not to go above Houston St at night. Is this area that bad

leon valley, tx
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: info required

Downtown is not a good place to be after dark. Unless you are with a crowd of people.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: info required

I would say, after 10 pm as opposed to after dark..There are a lot of bike cops downtown..This weekend ,I saw 2 busy bike cops that had cars pulled over..My hypothesis is,There is a higher concentration of cops downtown,than any area of SA..Stay in the well lit areas..

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: info required

You are staying in an area just north of the busy part of downtown and the Riverwalk. I work a few blocks away, and this area is fine during the day because of all the businesses around. However, it can get pretty scary after the sun goes down, because all of the businesses are closed, and the street people wake up. ; - ) So use extreme caution! Walking up and down Broadway at night is probably the safest way, but it's still scary in places. If you are going to be out at the Riverwalk at night, then I would suggest playing it safe and taking a short cab ride back to the Travel Lodge.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: info required

I don't really consider the area as bad, daytime will be perfectly fine. But, as said, at night there are plenty of street folk in that area. A group of two or more should not have any problems, but a cab ride from the river can't cost more than 10 bucks including tip.

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: info required

I would suggest staying in the Market Square area of downtown instead. Courtyard, Residence Inn and Fairfield are all good Marriott properties there within walking distance of El Mercado (Market Square) and a two minute walk to the Trolley Stop that will take you to the Riverwalk/Alamo area in ten minutes. Holiday Inn Express and La Quinta are also OK and in the same area. Market Square is a FAR better area for night time walks than your current choice.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: info required

I work across the street from the Travelodge. It is not as bad as people make it out to be. I park my car and walk a couple of blocks to the building. I walk all over downtown from the same location. I walk dowtown usually via Broadway. It is a short walk to most of the fun things downtown. You can also take a river taxi from the El Tropicano (Clarion Hotel) just a few blocks to your west. You can buy a all day pass for $10 and get on and off the river as much as you want. There are homeless in the neighborhood, but I have had NO problems with any of these people. They sleep on the church steps a few blocks to your east. I see them when I am going to my car, but you are a few blocks away.