We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to SA in January

Fountain City
Level Contributor
89 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to SA in January

My husband and I are thinking of coming to San Antonio in Jan. We are looking to stay somewhere right on the Riverwalk where we can be close to everything. We do want something nice as it is our 10 year anniversary. We were thinking of Drury's. It looked like a good location to walk to most places, also included evening drinks and morning breakfast. Didn't seem like a bad value. My question would be what hotel are located right next to, or across from, he Riverwalk Mall since shopping will be a priority? I believe according to what I've read Drury's is about 4 blks away, which is fine. We don't travel often so we are looking for something really nice in a prime location.

Also, I've read that they drain the Riverwalk every year...any idea when that is happening next as we don't want to travel during that time....and I think they do it in Jan??

Thanks so much!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to SA in January

The Drury is in an excellent location, and I've heard nothing but great reviews - so I think you're good there. Yes, they always drain the river in January to clean up trash and other junk. I tried to research the exact time, but I had no luck. The past couple of years (according to my memory) they drained it the second week of January, but who knows when they'll do it this coming January. I'll try to research some more, but if anyone knows then please post a reply.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to SA in January

There is a Marriott Rivercenter, which is at the mall itself, and still along the river walk. The Westin is also a good choice, but further walking distance to the mall, than the Drury is.

At www.travelzoo.com there is a good deal on the Omni. Not sure where they are located, but it is a good place to keep your eye out for deals.

When making reservations, remember to tell everyone you are celebrating your 10th! You never know what upgrades or surprises you'll receive.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
573 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to SA in January

The draining of the river will take place during the 2nd week of January. The annual Riverwalk Mud Festival to celebrate the draining of the river will be held from January 12th - 15th. Check out www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com for information.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to SA in January

Drurys is fine,but it is your 10 year anniversary..Time to step it up..There are 2 Marriotts steps from the mall..One is a 1,000 room monster,the other I believe is 500 rooms..I like The Hyatt for you guys..3 blocks from the Mall and on the river..If you search this forum, you will find a promo code to use..Upgrade to Concierge level and be sure to mention the occasion..Also buy your champagne beforehand,unless you like paying 3x's as much at the hotel,Which has a limited selection..I do not blame you for not wanting to come W/O the River..To me,it is one of the few do not miss attractions in SA..

SA Tx
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to SA in January

Actually, the river will start to drain on January 3rd. There are 2 weeks scheduled in case of a freeze, but it is generally refilled within a week.

If shopping really is your priority, I wouldn't count on Rivercenter fullfilling all of your needs. The Shops at La Cantera are beautiful and diverse. It's a great way to spend an afternoon, but you will need a car if you stay downtown.

Enjoy your stay..

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to SA in January

Also for shopping,you have North Star Mall and in San Marcos,The Outlet Stores..

Fountain City
Level Contributor
89 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to SA in January

Thanks for all the input.... Keep it coming if anyone thinks of any other helpful ideas. We do plan to expand our shopping to all over San Antonio. I've checked out Market Square, the malls, and smaller antique shops on line too. I will look into the Hyatt as well.