We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for kids

Michigan
Level Contributor
121 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel for kids

My husband and I are considering visiting San Antonio in April. I have lots of questions. How is the weather typically in April? We are looking to escape Michigan's long, cold winter and rainy spring.

We have three boys 13, 11, and 8. We are looking for a great resort with elaborate pools. Should we consider South Padre? Does anyone know of any upscale condos for rent in either SA or SP?

Thanks for any advise you may have for us.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for kids

April is an ideal weather month in SA...Mid 80's in the day and 60-70 at night..The humidity usually starts at the end of May..I think you would be happy at the Westin Resort..A great water park(Schlitterban) is a short drive,but you may want to check when they open for the season..

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for kids

The Westin La Cantera would be great, but I am sure the water is going to be too cold.

Do not know of any condos, but here are the cities websites for more info on condos:

South Padre Island is www.sopadre.com

San Antonio is www.sanantoniocvb.com

If you go with South Padre, book early. Not sure when spring break is this year for everyone, but SPI is the most popular place to go!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel for kids

Pricey, but worth it is the Hill Country Hyatt. ( hillcountry.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp ) The hotel/resort has been featured on Travel Channel's "Great Hotels" with Samantha Brown. It is located in west SA in a wooded area close to Seaworld, which you could easily visit on the weekend in April. ( http://seaworld.com/seaworld/tx/default.aspx )

This Hyatt resort has a golf course, hike/bike trails, many fine restaurants & bars, a spa, and the best swimming pool in San Antonio. There are two or more huge pools & hot tubs, but the real fun feature is the lazy river. Just grab a tube and float! I know this resort would thrill you and your family (if you're willing to throw down some $$$).

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,470 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel for kids

I don't know about upscale but for kids a condo at Schlitterbahn in would be way cool. http://www.schlitterbahn.com/ I doubt you'd want to spend your whole trip, especially if you want to take in the SA sights.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel for kids

Schlitterbahn would be very fun for the kids - just keep in mind that it doesn't open until April 29.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel for kids

My two cents...

Avoid SPI during Spring Break time. I personally don't think it would be appropriate for your kids to see. Lots of college kids, lots of drinking, and lots of partial+ nudity. I haven't been since '92 but the reports I hear are that it's even worse now.

Schlitterbahn would be nice but it probably wont' be open ~plus~ it books up a year or more in advance. A call wouldn't hurt, though.

Honestly, I can't think of any hotels with elaborate pools here in San Antonio. Nice pools, yes. Fancy, fun-for-kids type, no.

Perhaps wait until May and go to South Padre? They have a Schlitterbahn there, too.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel for kids

Um, nix my earlier comment. Not sure what I was thinking. I believe the Hyatt Hill Country does have a pretty fancy pool/water activities. Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure it does.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel for kids

Hyatt Hill Country pools, especially the Lazy River are terrific for kids as TexasHam said.

We moved here in March, but moved here from Tampa, so to me April wasn't pool or swimming weather yet, but it all depends on your perspecitve I'm sure!! Coming from Michigan, you might feel it's summer time. :)

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
573 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel for kids

I agree with the Hyatt suggestion. The latter of April would be the best time to visit if you want to spend time in the pool. April weather varies quite a bit, but you can expect lows in the 60's with highs in the 80's and the occasional high of 90+. Seaworld is right around the corner from the Hyatt and is open on weekends during the month of April, so you will also have the option of visiting their waterpark.

Michigan
Level Contributor
121 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel for kids

Wow! Thanks to everyone for your helpful feedback. You have given me a lot to think about. I am definitely going to look into the Westin and the Hyatt. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I decide for sure if Texas is going to be our spring destination.