We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Antonio in October

New Jersey
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
San Antonio in October

I'm thinking of going to San Antonio in October by myself is it a safe place for single travelers?

Also where would you suggest going outside of the city? I was looking at the caves and Austin? What is in Austin to see. Is there buses or some form of public transportation to Austin from San Antonio.

Any comments on the downton Red Roof Inn?

Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Antonio in October

I would say San Antonio (SA) is "safe" - just use common sense and walk in well-lit, public areas at night. I'm sure Octoboy will give you tons of links to see what there is to do in SA and surrounding areas. ; ) Austin is a fun place to visit, but there is no public transportation from SA. You might be able to catch a Greyhound bus....but that wouldn't be too fun. Austin is approx. 45 miles away. If you want to party at night, then downtown Austin is the place for you with many restaurants, bars, & clubs on 6th street, the warehouse district and SoCo (South Congress). The Riverwalk in downtown SA has a decent amount of restaurants and a couple of bars/clubs....but it's not nearly as rowdy as Austin.....just depends on what you want.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
South Congress Hotel
South Congress Hotel
334 Reviews
Austin, TX
River Walk
River Walk
22,045 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Antonio in October

also, unless you plan on staying the entire time in downtown SA, you should rent a car as most of the attractions are quite a distance away (30 to 80 miles or so). The caves are definitely interesting to see (here's one: http://209.35.235.166/cwan/), and little towns like Fredericksburg can offer some fun shopping as well as touring some of the wineries nearby: http://www.texaswinetrails.com/

Mentioned in this post
San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
577 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Antonio in October

I think SA is a safe city. You just have to use common sense like you would in any other city, and as a single traveler you will have to be even more cautious than most visitors. I would definitely suggest that you get a hotel closer to the Riverwalk than the Red Roof Inn because it will be easier and safer to go to/from your hotel at night . The Riverwalk is a very safe area with lots of bars/night spots and restaurants both on the Riverwalk and on the street level. The Alamo and other attractions are at street level by the Riverwalk. Two hotels that I would suggest that are closer to the Riverwalk, and probably not much more expensive than the Red Roof Inn, are The Menger and the Drury Inn-Riverwalk.

It would be best to rent a vehicle to travel to attractions outside of the city. Natural Bridge Caverns is about 30-35 miles north of SA between New Braunfels and San Marcos. Just north of the caverns you can do some discount shopping at the Tanger and Prime Outlets. I don't go to Austin often, so the only things I can recommend there is Sixth Street and Barton Springs. Another thing I would recommend is a drive through the hill country to Fredericksburg for some shopping and a nice scenic drive.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
River Walk
River Walk
22,045 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
The Alamo
The Alamo
15,716 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Menger Hotel
Menger Hotel