We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changed plans....new parking question?

austin texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Changed plans....new parking question?

I got a downtown hotel. The Westin . $20.00 a day is the rate for parking. I will not be using my car Friday afternoon til Sunday pm. Should I just choke down the $60.00 or anybody have an idea. Thanks in advance! Everyone has such good questions and answers.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changed plans....new parking question?

parking meters are FREE on Sundays, so you could move your car to the street anywhere there is a meter Sunday morning regardless of where you park the other two days. You can park at the lots or meters where I suggested in the previous post or try another lot downtown, which i'm sure you can easily beat that $20/day rip-off.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changed plans....new parking question?

by the way, parking meters are only checked Monday through Saturday 8am to 6pm; hence, Sundays are FREE. If you are arriving Friday afternoon, then you could park at a meter and pay just enough to make it to 6pm and leave your car there at night. As long as you get to your car by 8am on Saturday morning, you'll be fine. (I'm an early riser, so this is no problem for me....but you might be partying late into the night and not want to wake up early.) If you choose this route, then you could pay the meter for all day saturday (assuming the 20 cent per hour Green meters) this would only be $2.00 to park.....pretty inexpensive if you don't mind walking and keeping track of the time. Think of what you can do with all that extra money in your pocket?!

austin texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Changed plans....new parking question?

Thanks Texasham. I love your detail! I am an early riser so that isn't a problem. Assuming I can find a 20 cent metr... how many hours can I pay for at a time? Will I be able to find a meter on a Friday afternoon? I am staying at the Westin but I can find something to do and check in later if that is a tuff time to find parking. It isn't illegal or such to leave the car in place overnight?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changed plans....new parking question?

You should have no problem finding a meter on Friday afternoon as most meters are used by business people during the day and many, many are vacant by late afternoon.

The 20 cents/hour meters can be paid for 10 hours at a time (which is all day 8am-6pm). Other meters that charge $1/hour can only be paid for 2 hours at a time (but you don't want to mess with those). Your hotel is about 10 blocks away from the area around Martin and Jefferson that has the 20 cent meters that I know of....so i'm not sure if you want to walk that far. i would suggest driving around the streets close to your hotel around St. Mary's Street to see what lots & meters you can find. The meters are really hit-and-miss...meaning that you can find a 20 cent meter on one block and the other side of the street will have $1 meters! it's crazy. it's perfectly legal to leave your car on a parking meter overnight. The other option (if you can't find a cheap 20 cent meter) is to find a parking lot and pay....but each parking lot is different. some say overnight parking is not allowed and will tow. others are fine with it. you should just read the sign at the lot or ask the attendant if one is there. i've seen some that require you to pay the flat fee (for example $5) when you park and if you leave your car overnight, then you'll have to pay another $5 for that day....which makes sense....just drive around and ask questions or read the signs. i have faith that you'll find what you need and not have to pay that crazy $20 fee the Westin wants you to pay. hope this helps....feel free to ask more questions!

austin texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Changed plans....new parking question?

Thanks so much. I think I will find the hotel and then start working my way out. At least I know I have choices. Thanks again!!!!!