We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic into Salem October 2013

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic into Salem October 2013

Our accommodations are booked (in Salem, with parking!) and we're excited for our second visit to lovely Salem! Last time, we drove up from PA on the Friday of Columbus Day weekend. We left early and it was DARK by the time we got into town. The traffic was horrible the whole way. I don't follow baseball but I think there was also some kind of Red Sox game that weekend? Didn't help. Anyway, this year we're going the third week in October so we can take the holiday weekend out of the equation. Are there any other routes into Salem other than 128 etc that may be a bit easier? Last time, there were traffic signs on 95 outside Boston declaring high traffic volume (as if we didn't know!) and we ended up going through Boston and up 1A. I don't know if it was any better but we did seem to move a little faster. Could have just felt faster because of the change of scenery...

Another option we were considering since we're staying a day less this time, is to leave Thursday afternoon and stay in CT around Hartford. If we were to leave early in the morning on Friday from Hartford, how would traffic be then? Should we wait until after rush hour? I like the idea of this option because I feel it will maximize our time in Salem. Thanks in advance for answers! By the way, I understand that there will be no chance of avoiding traffic but it's worth it to see your beautiful city.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic into Salem October 2013

Welcome back! Traffic into Salem on October weekends is very heavy as you discovered! It's especially bad on Columbus Day weekend because of both the long weekend and also the Topsfield Fair, an annual event that is held just to the north and concludes on Columbus Day. Access to Salem is only via secondary roads so it doesn't take much to create a traffic jam. You'll find some alternate routes at the Haunted Happenings website, but all get congested. I think Route 1A from Boston can be a good approach. It's slow because of all the traffic lights, but I think most folks use I-95 and Route 128 to the secondary roads so 1A doesn't take on so much of the Halloween traffic.

Staying in CT on Thursday evening will help. If you arrive in the Boston/Salem area by early to mid-afternoon, the traffic into Salem probably won't be too heavy. Hope you'll have a fun visit!

2. Re: Traffic into Salem October 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 14, 2014