We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid April road trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Mid April road trip

Posting this on a few Maine forums so please forgive if I seem to be repeating myself.

Husband and I will be flying into Boston on the 11th April and staying there for 2 nights. We then have hire car and 7 more nights to explore the Maine coast before returning to the Boston area on the 20th for our flight home on the 21st. This is what we have been thinking so far, any comments or suggestions are welcome. Leave Boston on the Saturday morning and drive north, but not too far, maybe stopping for the night in Salem, Rockport or Gloucester. We intend to book accommodation in advance for this night as it's a Saturday and I believe it's a State holiday that weekend so maybe busy (?).

Question - any preferences to which town to stay in on that Saturday night? Hotel / B&B recommendations also welcome, budget will be up to $150 a night hopefully less. We are both early 40's and enjoy eating out, going to bars and would like to chat to friendly locals during our trip. During the day happy to potter about and look at nice views.

After that Saturday night we have no fixed destinations or places to visit although we would like to keep to the coast. We realise that the weather probably won't be great in April so not planning on going too far north, probably as far as Portland as I hear it's a foodie city. Would have liked to get as far as Bangor, yes I know it's not on the coast, as I'm a huge Stephen King fan but if the weather is rubbish don't fancy travelling all that way just to see some spiderweb gates.

Personally I want to make sure to see Ogunquit and Kennebunk as they look lovely. I'm assuming we will be able to get last minute accommodation there mid week in April, will be taking a tablet so will be able to book on line as we go.

We don't want to plan too much as if we find ourselves somewhere that we really like we want to be able to stay an extra night without worrying about getting to the next hotel booking.

Question - other than the places I have mentioned, any other must see Maine towns on our way up to Portland?

If we have time on our hands after that, we may come back down south of Boston and try and see some of Cape Cod or Rhode Island. Is it feasible to travel from there to Logan airport on the Sunday morning in time for our evening flight or should we aim to stay closer?

Thanks all in advance, Jane & Chris

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mid April road trip

Why not watch the world famous Boston marathon from Newton or somewhere else along the route. That is also Patriots day weekend in Lexington and Concord where all kinds of battle re-creations are happening. Does that appeal. You do know it is still pretty cold here with possible snow cover.

12. Re: Mid April road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 24, 2014