We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a really good seance offered anywhere in Salem?

Level Contributor
516 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a really good seance offered anywhere in Salem?

We just got back from Salem, where we booked one of the seances through Omen. We were really disappointed. This was nothing like what you think a seance would be. It really was just a group reading, with the medium telling a few bits of information about deceased family members to some of the people in attendance. We thought it would be a typical seance with a group of people holding hands sitting around a table, etc. We were doing this purely for entertainment and it was boring. They had way too many people in the group (around 30) and the medium didn't even have time to talk to many of the individuals. She spent two thirds of the time doing "automatic writing," which was a complete waste of time. One lady spoke up and said that it wasn't at all what she was expecting and the medium said rather than do a seance in the regular way, she thought people would prefer to have more of an individual experience, which would probably have worked much better with a smaller group. If this had been advertised as a group reading, that's understandable but to call it a seance I think is very misleading. She ended the night with "table tipping" where 4 people put one finger under each part of a table while the rest of the group chanted "Rise, rise, rise" and the table eventually lifted off the ground. That was ridiculous. The table was very light and 4 people, one on each side, could easily lift it. I'm just putting this out there as a warning for others in case you're expecting what you think will be a seance. We were very disappointed and I could see where some people would probably ask for a refund after this experience. Thank God that was our only negative thing that we did in Salem. Everything else was very enjoyable. If anyone knows of a place that does a seance like you'd expect where it's in the dark with people holding hands around a candlelit table and "spirits" are summoned, please let me know so we can try it next year.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a really good seance offered anywhere in Salem?

I'll stick my neck out and say that maybe you should thank God that it wasn't a "real" seance. Very dangerous in my opinion to get involved in such things even if you think it's just for amusement.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a really good seance offered anywhere in Salem?

We went to a seance last year (2011) that tried to do a seance similar to what you seemed to expect and it was a huge flop. It was one of the special shows at the Witches' Cottage and it was billed as a "theatrical seance" and had although they tried to do some of the classic tests to see if spirits were there, the audience did not have that willing suspension of disbelief that is necessary, lol, so it didn't come off well and I see they've taken it off the schedule for this year. We came away feeling like someone was trying to trick us and were angry that we'd spent money to feel like that.

It depends on what you think a seance should be like. I expect a seance to follow the Spiritualist church type of format where the medium gets a message for one of the participants and says "May I come to you" and then gives that person a message. We did attend this type of seance in 2009 and enjoyed it. It was a small group of about 8 people including the two mediums and everyone got a message and a chance to ask questions. The room was softly lit and the medium seemed to believe what she was saying. Mind you, there was no table tipping or rapping or toe cracking, but that's not what I expected, so wasn't disappointed. (This one was at Angel's Landing)

Nashua, New...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a really good seance offered anywhere in Salem?

What you are looking for is a "Theatrical Seance" we used to one a night and 2 on Friday and Saturday in October. The first hour was when the 12 guest would sit around the table and experience what a Seances were like at the time of turn of the last century (1890 - 1900). A combination of a Magic show and a fun house/dark ride. This was followed by a half our with a current day medium. The audience both sketics and true believers loved it. The only problem was we didn't make money just barely broke even, and last year we could not find a room to rent at a reasonable price so we didn't put the show on. We are still undecided about next year, we might need to raise the price, it was $10 per person, Increase the number of guests, or cut the time of the show from 90 minutes to 60 minutes and have two shows per night, or come with a combination of the three options. Google "Theatrical Seance" + Salem next September.

Level Contributor
516 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a really good seance offered anywhere in Salem?

Thanks for the info!

5. Re: Is there a really good seance offered anywhere in Salem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 18, 2014