We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cemetery tours in November?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
33 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Cemetery tours in November?

I will be in Salem the first weekend in November, and I know that most of the popular walking tours offered during this time pass through Old Burying Point, but I am looking for tours that are more cemetery-centered (that focus on funerary art, burying practices of the time, etc.). The only one I was able to find, "Cemeteries 101" offered by Salem Historical Tours apparently stops after Halloween. Does anyone know of any other cemetery tours? I'm not just interested in Old Burying Point, but in all of the cemeteries that date from the 17th/18th centuries.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cemetery tours in November?

I don't know of any other than the one you mentioned. You may want to call or email them and perhaps other tour companies to find out if there are any such tours scheduled for November and if not, whether you can arrange a private tour. I'd contact them soon, before the October rush when they'll be too busy to talk with with you.

northeast
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cemetery tours in November?

I don't have your answer but I have the same question! What are the best Salem things that still happen after October? I would like to bring my tween-age son there for a day and he loves cemetaries and historical stuff - but being able to still experience some of the Halloween-haunted still sounds good too - what still is open on or around Veterans Day in Salem?

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cemetery tours in November?

TravlerNortheast, most of Salem's attractions will be open in November. You and your son will be able the visit the Burying Point and the recently renovated Witch Trials Memorial; the Witch House, the only building in Salem with direct ties to the witch trials, closes early in November, so check ahead. The NPS Visitors Center has an excellent film on the witch trials, Salem Witch Hunt: Examine the Evidence. The Salem Maritime Historic Site, the House of the Seven Gables, and the Peabody Essex Museum will all be open. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Salem Witch Trials Memorial
Salem Witch Trials...
1,490 Reviews
Salem, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
726 Reviews
Salem, MA
Peabody Essex Museum
Peabody Essex Museum
1,768 Reviews
Salem, MA
4. Re: Cemetery tours in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 13, 2013