We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Salem safe?

rochester ny
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is Salem safe?

I will be traveling by myself for a day trip. I will be returning before dark to Andover . I have done some research on the safety of Salem an have read some articles in the Salem patch that indicate there has been an increase of muggings and pan handlers over the last few years. Is this something that I need to worry about in the tourist areas of Salem? If you could please give me an idea of where not to go in the area alone I would truly appreciate it!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,774 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Salem safe?

Salem is a small city, but a city nonetheless, so it's a good idea to bring along your street smarts. That said, I think you will be fine in the tourist areas. There'll be plenty of people around, especially in the daytime. You can follow a red line on the sidewalk (like the Freedom Trail in Boston) to get to most of the attractions so you needn't worry about accidentally wandering outside the tourist areas (though you'd probably be fine if you did).

Hope you'll enjoy your day!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,554 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Salem safe?

I've never had a problem, and if you don't want to give to a pan-handler you don't. I've enver seen one get aggressive. It's a small city, but I don't find it particularly dangerous. It's a place where I don't hesitate to let my teens go off on their own for a while.

I dont think you'll have any trouble during the day in the tourist areas (or early evening, for that matter).

Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Salem safe?

I don't think you need to worry but I would pay attention to the patch. Their articles are usually written by locals who live in the community.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Salem safe?

I have lived here for seven years and have never seen a panhandler even once. What is wrong with me?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Salem safe?

Unless things have changed drasitcally in two years, which was the last time I was there(returning in a week- yay!) it's very safe in the tourist (downtown) area. My friend and I (both women) like to go out for walks in the evening whenever we're there. The majority of people we tend to meet are dog walkers, who are all very friendly. Haven't come across anything negative, at all. Day time, is even less of a concern. Most of those negative things you read tend to focus on an area called the Point, which isn't an area a tourist is likely to go in.

So go, enjoy, and don't worry!

6. Re: Is Salem safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 23, 2013
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor