We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going this weekend

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Going this weekend

We are going this weekend 2nd time for us, 1st time for our 12 month old son. What are some attractions & events that we shouldn't miss? Also toddler friendly restaurants & sounds silly but bars too. Wouldn't mind a pumpkin ale :)

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going this weekend

For pumpkin ale, go to the Salem Beer Works. It should be pretty toddler-friendly, though I'm not exactly sure what that means.

As to attractions, I don't know what you did on your first visit. Your son might enjoy looking at some of the Halloween-themed shop windows (I remember a very elaborate display a couple of years ago with animated ghosts, witches, etc.), but for the most part I don't think one-year-olds are especially appreciative or choosy about sightseeing. In general, if the weather is nice as forecast, there should be a lot of activity in the streets, with people in costume and all sorts of colorful displays, which might appeal to him.

For me, major highlights of Salem include the Peabody Esssex Museum, the Tercentenary Memorial to the victims of the witch hysteria, and the colonial and post-colonial architecture (take a walk around the McIntyre District --Chestnut Street and neighboring streets, west of downtown--as well as the center of town).

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going this weekend

Not sure when you arrive but this Thursday evening, they will have the Haunted Happenings' kick off parade

Check out The Haunted Happenings website for activities during your visit.

http://www.hauntedhappenings.org/

Also, check out Salem Willows for your toddler

http://www.salemwillowspark.com/

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going this weekend

Yesterday the local newspaper mentioned a Haunted Happenings venue geared to little kids that's new this year. It's Griswold's Ghostly Grove located in Museum Place Mall. I would think a one-year old would be too young for this, but thought I'd mention it just in case you want to check it out (and for others visiting with slightly older kids). I have no first-hand knowledge of this place, but here's a link to a little bit of information:

…blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going this weekend

Thanks everyone. When I say toddler friendly, just means they are welcome, there strollers are welcome & if they have high chairs or booster seats. I just read that I will be missing the parade by one day :(

5. Re: Going this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 25, 2012