We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Recommendations for Halloween

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging Recommendations for Halloween

I just came up with the idea of going to Salem for Halloween. I guess it's too late to get the good hotels right in Salem. I would appreciate any recomendations for lodging in or near Salem. When I google hotels, I get them in Boston which I think is rather far. Thank you for your help. It is appreciated. I would fly into Boston on Sunday night and would need Sunday and Monday lodging.

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Recommendations for Halloween

I just read a recommendation to stay in Boston and take the ferry to Salem. It looks like it's about an hour ride. In that case, I would appreciate any recommendations for a 2 night stay in Boston near the ferry. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging Recommendations for Halloween

If you will not have a car, it will probably be best to stay in Boston. Besides the ferry, you can also get to Salem via a 30 minute trip on the commuter rail (Newburyport/Rockport line). Note that both the ferry and train run on a fixed schedule and service is not too frequent (though extra service is usually added on Halloween and sometimes a day or two preceding). You are correct that the ferry takes about an hour.

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/…

http://www.salemferry.com/

If you will have a car and want to stay near Salem, have a look in Peabody, Danvers, and Beverly. There are also B&Bs in Marblehead. Driving to Salem on Halloween and on October weekends is strongly discouraged as traffic is very heavy and parking hard to find. If you do stay in the area, it will be best to park at a nearby commuter rail lot and take the train to Salem.

Hope you’ll enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Danvers
Danvers
Massachusetts
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Recommendations for Halloween

Rte 128 is right on as per usual. Scan last years posts for Halloween stays in the following cities that are on the train line: Lynn (Diamond District only). Swampscott, and North Beverly. I have to disagree with recommending stays in Danvers & Peabody. Those are the big chain hotels located on Rte 114 and Rte 128 and you still are going to have fight traffic each way to get into Salem which will be a big problem. Stick with your Boston idea (post in the Boston Forum for suggestions) or the cities along the train route.

Also check out the Wylie Inn and Conference Center in Beverly, MA. It is located on the gorgeous landscaped campus of Endicott College, right on the ocean. Check if they have a shuttle that you can use back and forth to downtown Salem or the train station in Beverly. Endicott runs these shuttles but don't know if they are for students only. During non Halloween times, it is a 10 minute drive back and forth to downtown Salem. Ditto to the train station in Beverly.

Good luck and thanks for planning ahead.

Mentioned in this post
Danvers
Danvers
Massachusetts
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Wylie Inn and Conference Center
Wylie Inn and Conference...
51 Reviews
Beverly, MA
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Recommendations for Halloween

FYI - after my research and taking into consideration all the super advice on TA: fly into Logan, stay at the Sheraton in the Back Bay area. Take a train or subway or ferry to Salem from Boston. Avoid all the traffic and parking. This way you get it all!

Mentioned in this post
Back Bay
Back Bay
443 Reviews
Boston, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Recommendations for Halloween

Yes, that should work out well for you. Just one correction: you can take the train (commuter rail) or ferry from Boston to Salem, but the subway won't get you there. It is possible to take the blue line of the subway to Wonderland Station in Revere and then take a bus to Salem (or a bus from Boston to Salem), but this is a very long ride, which I wouldn't recommend. Much easier to take the train or ferry! Hope you'll enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,137 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Recommendations for Halloween

You can use the subway to get from the Sheraton to the train or ferry.

7. Re: Lodging Recommendations for Halloween

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Salem