We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roast Beef

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Roast Beef

On our last visit to Salem, I was surprised by the number of "roast beef" restaurants we passed. Is this a local/regional fast food thing? And if so, can someone recommend a good place to get a roast beef sandwich?

In Atlantic Canada, we don't seem to have any roast beef restaurants - lot of lobster and mussels, but aside from Arby's, no roast beef sandwiches.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roast Beef

Yes, roast beef sandwich shops are plentiful north of Boston. I'd prefer a lobster roll myself, but the roast beef fans I know all head for Nick's on Route 1A in North Beverly. It's walking distance from Beverly Garden Suites.

www.nicksfamousroastbeef.com/Default.aspx

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roast Beef

Yes, It's a regional thing. The BEST place for a Roast Beef Sandwich would be Kelly's Roast Beef, the home of the World's Best Roast Beef (is what they claim) and it's also where the Roast Beef Sandwich originated. There are 3 locations in the North Shore. The original stand is at Revere Beach, there's no place to eat it ate the stand so most people eat it on the seawall across the street, just watch out for seagulls. who love Kelly's food, too. The 2 other locations offer tables are in nearby Saugus and Danvers. Most Roast Beef Sandwich places are also great places to go for regional Fried Seafood including Fried Clams, Calm Rolls, Fish and Chips, Seafood platters etc.

http://www.kellysroastbeef.com/

BTW-

Another unique food item in Salem only, is the Chop Suey Sandwich, which they sell for less than $2.00 at Salem Willows. (They are not as good as a roast beef sandwich but .... "When in Rome"!)

www.flickr.com/photos/uglyagnes/2711050598/

Enjoy!

Edited: 9:48 am, March 27, 2011
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
628 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roast Beef

Another North Shore roast beef "institution" is Bill & Bob's. There's one on Bridge St. in Salem. Also, try to take Remay's advice and go to Salem Willows for one of their famous chop suey sandwiches. They certainly are unique!

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roast Beef

I must go in search of this chop suey sandwich I keep hearing about. What exactly does it consist of? When I picture chop suey, I picture a Chinese food dish..so certainly sounds unique.

I concur that Kelly's is a good place to get the classic RB sandwich among other things..but unfortunately ( or fortunately depending on how you look at it), Phil's Roast Beef in Andover Ma. has ruined me for all other roast beef sandwiches. Their onion roll roast beef with cheese and BBQ sauce is the hands down best I've ever had. Probably a little too far for the OP to travel to however.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roast Beef

Miscricket -- Picture traditional Chinese-style Chicken Chop Suey on a hamburger bun.... truly unique.... and delicious if/when you're on the North Shore of Massachusetts!

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roast Beef

Thanks everyone! Two things we must definitely try while in Salem - a roast beef sandwich and chop suey sandwich :-)

Is Salem Willows within walking distance of downtown? I don't think we were there on our last visit.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roast Beef

It's about two miles from Downtown Salem to Salem Willows.

Enjoy!

http://www.salemweb.com/willows/

http://www.salemwillowspark.com/map.html

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Roast Beef

That is two places in Andover I have to check out.

If driving from Boston, Kelley's in Revere is easy enough to find. Something else that they do well is their coffee.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roast Beef

Mainer..thanks..that does sound unique...:-)

LP..there are no shortage of good places in the Andover and Merrimack Valley area and I am always happy to recommend a place. Unless we are talking breakfast.. I like to keep those favorites to myself...lol

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roast Beef

PEIPaleskin, the Kelly's in Danvers will be most convenient for you coming from Beverly or Salem. It's on Endicott Street at the entrance to the Liberty Tree Mall. Revere isn't so far either, and if you get a nice warm October day, it might be fun to sit outside and eat. The "scenic" route from Salem is 1A along the ocean (in parts) through Swampscott and Lynn to Revere.

Also, there's plenty of parking at Salem Willows so you might plan to visit on a day when you're driving to Salem (I'm assuming that you'll have a car again).