We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive and park or shuttle from Peabody?

South Wales, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Drive and park or shuttle from Peabody?

My wife and I will be going into Salem for the day tomorrow we wish to stay for the parade at 6:30 would it be to our advantage to pay for a shuttle to and from or drive and park in Salem? My question is how will the parking and crowds be? Thanks in advance.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive and park or shuttle from Peabody?

What shuttle are you thinking about? I don't know of any. Did you mean the Commuter Rail? That would be VERY different than a shuttle. I wouldn't think you'd have any problem driving and parking tomorrow, though.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,082 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive and park or shuttle from Peabody?

What shuttle from Peabody are you talking about? This is the first I've heard of it (which really doesn't mean much).. Please let us know as this could be quite helpful to others.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive and park or shuttle from Peabody?

With the parade tomorrow evening (Thursday), I think Salem will be crowded starting mid- to late-afternoon, especially if the weather improves. If you're planning to spend the day and arrive by early afternoon, you probably won't have trouble parking and the traffic should be ok. Leaving Salem after the parade may be much slower, however. Since the parade ends early, you may want to wait around a while (have dinner perhaps) before leaving.

I, too, am very curious about the shuttle you mentioned as I'm not aware of such a service. We usually tell people to take the ferry from Boston or the commuter rail from Boston or points north. Please tell us more.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive and park or shuttle from Peabody?

I see that the Holiday Inn on Route 1 in Peabody offers a complimentary shuttle to Salem during October. I've never noticed this before, but maybe it's been offered in the past. Though it solves the parking problem, it doesn't eliminate sitting in traffic. (and only helps those staying there)

South Wales, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive and park or shuttle from Peabody?

We are staying at the Hampton Inn in Peabody and they have three private shuttle companies that we can use. They run from 9am to 9:30 pm during the weekdays and charge $12 per adult and I believe children under 5 are free.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive and park or shuttle from Peabody?

Thanks for the shuttle information. I really don't think parking will be a problem today, especially with arrival before late afternoon. Tomorrow (Friday) through Columbus Day Monday are a different story. If you do use the shuttle on the weekend, expect to sit in traffic. Hope you will enjoy Salem!

7. Re: Drive and park or shuttle from Peabody?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 06, 2011