We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Questions

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Questions

A friend and I will be visiting Salem in October. We have a reservation at a hotel in North Beverly and are planning to use the commuter rail service. I was reviewing the schedule and it looks like we'll have to find another way back to the hotel on a couple of nights when we will be out later than the last train.

How available are taxi's in Salem on a Saturday night - we're hoping to catch a late performance of Spiritways? Are the cabs metered or do they charge by zone? Would a taxi from Salem to North Beverly be pricey? Would we be better off to take the car?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Questions

I'm assuming you are talking about coming to Downtown Boston. If so, weekend rates at many garages Downtown are in the $10 range, so driving in may be a reasonable option.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Questions

I was asking about taxi's between Salem and North Beverly.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Questions

If you have a car, why wouldn't you drive?? I thought you didn't want to drive into Boston, but Salem's not a big deal.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Questions

Maybe they are planning on drinking?

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Questions

I've read in previous posts that parking is a problem in Salem in October.

As we're not familiar with the area, we'll be doing well not to get lost in daylight, so I think we'd prefer to stick with public transport after dark :-)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,071 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Questions

Alan ... have you ever tried to drive and find parking in Salem near Halloween?!?!?

To the original poster, taxis are not 'plentiful'. You usually don't stand on a curb and hail a cab. Although things may be different during "Haunted Happenings". You may call one to come get you ...

Google "Taxi in Salem MA" and a few companies pop up. You'd need to call for details.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Questions

You're correct that parking and traffic are a problem in Salem on October weekends and on Halloween itself and sometimes the days just preceding. If I recall correctly, you posted a month or 2 ago about your plan to stay in North Beverly and use the train. I think I called your plan brilliant, but worried about the limitations of the train in the evening. I still think it's a great way to avoid the Salem Halloween traffic mess, but now we have to figure out a way to get you back to N. Beverly late at night!

First thought: the northbound trains split after Beverly (downtown) depot. You want the Newburyport line to North Beverly. However, the last train on the Rockport line leaves Salem over an hour later than the last train to Newburyport. Would this give you enough time in Salem? If so, then you could take the later train to Beverly depot and get a taxi from there to your hotel (there's no good parking there). Alternatively, you could take that train one additional stop to Montserrat, which is a part of Beverly. There's parking there, and on the weekend there should be space (on weekdays it will fill up quickly in the morning and then spaces will become available again in the late afternoon). It would be about a 5-6 minute easy drive from there to your hotel.

Good luck!

Second thought: email Salem Taxi to see what they have to say about service in October. Their website shows a fare of $18 from Salem to N. Beverly. I would think availability would be limited, but I don't know.

http://salemtaxionline.com/home

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Questions

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful suggestions. They definitely give me a place to look further. Taking the car to one of the train stations with later service is an option we hadn't considered but will look into. And as long as there is taxi service, we can splurge if we're not feeling adventurous.

Again, thanks!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Questions

"as long as there is taxi service, we can splurge"

I'd urge you to check ahead about the taxi option. Taxis aren't plentiful and it may be difficult to get one on busy nights. A call or email to Salem taxi (url in my post above) and/or to Destination Salem would be a good idea.

http://salem.org/index.shtml

If you'll be there on Halloween night, keep in mind that in the past, most activities have ended by the time of the last train to Boston (and that train is earlier than the last one north). Also, it will be a slow ride out of Salem whether by your car or taxi, whereas the train will avoid the traffic. Both of these points may be true to some extent on other weekend evenings earlier in the month.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Questions

Will do! Thank :-)

I had a look at the map of the train stations and Monserrat looks like it will be not bad to get to from our hotel. We'll probably take the car there if we'll be out late.

You've been a great help!