We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's to do this weekend????????

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Station...
Level Contributor
87 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What's to do this weekend????????

Anything interesting going on this weekend? Me and my 23 yr old daughter are spending the weekend at a bed and breakfast in Salem this weekend. Can anyone recommend any good lively restaurants where we can eat and get some drinks? Anything special we should visit during the day? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Level Contributor
421 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's to do this weekend????????

Your B&B staff may be aware of special events taking place, but the usual tourist places are open. I like the Peabody Essex Museum, and the wharf area near Darby Street. There are lots of good restaurants from Mexican to Indian to New England Sea Food. You'll be able to wander all around town on foot, visit the shops, and enjoy the sunshine. Check out the attractions and restaurants section of this website to narrow down your choices. Have a great trip@

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's to do this weekend????????

Definitely check out the Peabody Essex Museum.

As far as a lively place to drink that sometimes has live entertainment, try "Dodge Street"...

You didn't mention whether you've got a car. If you do, you might enjoy a drive to Marblehead... next town over. It's very picturesque, and you can get a great meal at the Sail Loft.

If you don't want to go to Marblehead, and like fried clams, try Dube's on Jefferson St. (?).

During the day, if the weather is nice, visit Salem Willows. It's an old park from the turn of the (last) century, with a penny arcade, skeeball, old fashioned kiddie rides etc., as well as a fishing pier. The park is a nice shady (in the good sense of the word) place to have a picnic, or just dine on salt water taffy and ice cream. "The Willows" is also famous for "Chop Suey Rolls".

There are some decent places to eat, and some interesting shops on Pickering Wharf.

Another nice place is the Lyceum, located on the side street behind East India Mall.

Salem, MA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's to do this weekend????????

The new Griffen Theatre has a really funny show, called Legends of Salem about the history of Salem, and not JUST the witches. My husband and I thought it was really funny while also being informative. It wasn't too scary for our 3 year old daughter and it held her attention. I think it plays every hour or so.

Some of the other stuff seemed pretty tacky, but we also loved the Peabody Essex Museum.

There's a great Indian restaurant called Passage to India, and a darling, very authentic Italian restaurant called Bella Verona, right near the Hawthorne Hotel.

Good luck!

Wakefield...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's to do this weekend????????

Good Morning:

You may want to take one of the evening ghostly tours, they have a nice combination of history and spookieness.

Growing up in Salem, I became a waittress in my teens, it was alway's a big joke not to apply for a job at the "Lyceum" an upscale Italian/Steakhouse with good seafood. Most tours will say it's haunted and the employees will tell you the same. I had a friend in high school that worked there that insisted she left by 9pm, because strange things went on after 9pm.

It might be fun to arrange a late seating, take the tour, then go to dinner!