We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A long weekend in Salem

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
178 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
A long weekend in Salem

I am planning a long weekend (Thurs-Sun or Fri-Mon) for my husband and I. I'm embarrassed to say that, although we've travelled around the world, we haven't been to any of the New England states. Sooo...after doing some internet research, I am interested in staying in Salem at a highly recommended B&B there. I've seen that we can get transportation there from Boston Logan for well less than the cost of car rental (not to mention gas!!!) but am wondering if we should opt for the car so we have the freedom of driving. I'm of the mind that, since we only have 2 full days to explore the environs, then we should just do the mass transit because we really don't have time to do much out of the city...or do we? Can some of you locals or repeat visitors let me know? FYI, we are definately interested in immersing ourselves in the history of the area and if time permits, would be interested in journeying to another nearby (and accessible by public transport) location offering other historical tidbits. Thanks!

Salem, MA
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A long weekend in Salem

the amelia payson B&B gets rave reviews in salem. the innkeepers actually make a wonderful breakfast and are very helpful in making your stay great. this inn is in the heart of everything and salem is definitely a walking city. the commuter rail is nearby so you can hop on the train to boston; takes about 20-30 minutes and is very reasonably priced. from the commuter rail, you can visit many towns. on the salem line, there is rockport, manchester, beautiful towns with beautiful beaches. i honestly do not think you need a car.

Wainfleet, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A long weekend in Salem

As a repeat visitor, I would say that you don't need a car but it is handy if you decide to venture out of Salem. I cannot recommend a B&B in Salem but, if you are unable to find anything in town, there are a lot of great places in Marblehead which is minutes and a beautiful drive away. Rockport is also a beautiful small town on the coast. Also, Plymouth Rock is a short drive away. If you only have two days, I don't recommend going into Boston. You need more time for that. If you decide against a car, you will have more than enough to see and do in Salem to fill the weekend.