We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Help, Please

Which Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Help, Please

Hello~

When my DH and I were in Boston a few years ago we drove up to Salem with a couple of friends. We were starving by the time we got there and I insisted on eating someplace near the water. Because of this we drove straight through town, (checked it out after lunch), past the museums, graveyard, etc. We may have been out of Salem when we hit the water, a large bay area, and the road turned to the left. Right where the road turned there was a white clapboard bar/restaurant at the water's edge. We walked up a short flight of stairs to the bar and the restaurant was downstairs nearer the water. The bar was very small but we were in a hurry so we sat there. Well.............that was where I had my first and only lobster roll and I 'bout fell off that barstool 'cause it was so darn good. And the clam chowder was to die for, too. I still dream about that place. *sigh* Well, a girlfriend of mine is heading out your way in a couple of weeks and I'd love to turn her on to this place. Does anyone have any clue about which place this might be? I also remember that we parked on the street up the hill a bit and there was a small parking lot across the street. Any other suggestions for lobster rolls if you don't know which place I'm referring to? (I'm talking straight up with a little mayo.) Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers,

Alison

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Help, Please

Hi Alison: From your description of its location, I believe the place you remember is Stromberg's- a bit of a Salem institution. Though I don't recall the "downstairs" part (was it outdoors?), I think they offer warm weather seating outside which might be down some steps...again, I'm going mostly on the location; but, I've always found Stromberg's food good and the service friendly.

Dube's- on Jefferson Ave., The Lobster Shanty- downtown, The Rockmore- actually floating in Salem Harbor (in summer) and a couple of upscale spots at Pickering Wharf all offer lobster rolls and other fried, steamed, etc. seafood. If you had a great experience at Stromberg's, though, I'd certainly encourage you to return as they've maintained a pretty high standard over the years. Hope that helps!

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Help, Please

Thanks for the help, man4pam, but I don't think that's the place. The place I'm talking about looked like it was just a bar from the road, (I believe it said "Cocktails" on the front), and I didn't realize it also had a restaurant until we were inside. You enter the bar from the left side of the building, (I think), and just inside there are stairs leading down to the restaurant. The barkeep was very, very nice and I would call the place mid-priced, not high-end. After looking at a map for Stromberg's I'm wondering if there's any place like this on Webb Street?

Thanks and Cheers,

Alison

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Help, Please

Well, now I'm stumped...sorry, Alison, I don't think there even is a restaurant on Webb Street. Were you drinking? (just joking!) The stairs part is really throwing me off. Are you certain you hadn't crossed the Beverly Bridge- there's a "clapboard" spot just over the line- which, of course, I never been to, so I'm not sure about its layout- besides being two stories. Once you've been here- and if you find it- please let me know what it is/was. Otherwise, one of my earlier suggestions should suit you desire for a good lobster roll.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Help, Please

No man, I wasn't drinking. Not until I got there. ;+)

Well, it has been a few years and I really don't remember the exact location. Thanks so much for your help and I will pass along your suggestions.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Help, Please

Alison,

Is the place?

http://www.capts.com/

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Help, Please

Remay:

In those days, Capt's location would have still been the Rockmore Dry Dock- now gone! Capt's bar is down, anyhoo- but, nice try- and you're right, it IS a nice spot.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Help, Please

Eureka! Well, I guess we reallllly were lost. My friend came through with the name and it seems we actually ended up in Marblehead by way of Salem. A nice local joint called the Barnacle Restaurant. And the only photo I could find was here at TripAdvisor and it shows weathered wood siding on the exterior. But I approached the place from the left, not the right, so it's not my fault, right? <insert sheepish grin here>

Thanks for all of your support, you guys rock!

Cheers,

Alison

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Help, Please

Alison: Again, lost? or drinking?? Sorry I couldn't place it, Salem residents are stopped at the border and if the number on your W2 isn't large enough, you're sent packing ;-)! Hope your friend has a great time there and, BTW, THANKS for "solving" the mystery- no sheepish grin required.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Help, Please

You're too freakin' funny! Okay, I WAS drinking and I WAS lost but if it's any consolation I don't remember a thing about Marblehead, just Salem. Shoot, we didn't even know we were in Marblehead so kudos to Salem and you, kind sir.

10. Re: Restaurant Help, Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 21, 2009