We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Hunting...Where to Stay?

MASSACHUSETTS
Level Contributor
85 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
College Hunting...Where to Stay?

Next Spring my daughter wants to tour Salem State College. Even though we live less than a 2 hour drive away, the tour starts early in the AM. Plus, I absolutely despise driving on 128 North! To make it more relaxing for both of us, we will stay over the night before. Any hotel recommendations? I'd like the hotel to be as close as possible to the college. I've only been to Salem once and I've lived in Massachusetts all of my life! Please help! Thank you.

Level Contributor
421 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College Hunting...Where to Stay?

I'm with you on avoiding 128 during rush hour! There are not a lot of hotels in Salem, and all are close enough to SSC that it would not take you more than 10 minutes to get to campus. check out the options on this site or other sites like hotels.com or bandb.com if you would consider a historical bed and breakfast to see the different styles and prices.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College Hunting...Where to Stay?

The Hawthorne Hotel is about 1-1/2 miles from campus. It's a great hotel.

Very easy to get to Salem State. Left onto Hawthorne BLvd, right onto Derby, left onto Lafayette. At the fork in the road for Rt 114 or Rt 1, Salem St is right there.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College Hunting...Where to Stay?

Actually the route you drive from the hotel to Salem St is Rt 1A.

MASSACHUSETTS
Level Contributor
85 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College Hunting...Where to Stay?

Thank you...Will research your suggestions! (P.S. I appreciate the precise directions.)

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: College Hunting...Where to Stay?

Actually Salem State College is closer to Marblehead than downtown Salem. Check out the swanky Marblehead Inn which is very close by and would be about a two second car drive. The walk from Salem State to downtown Salem is not advised after dark. I think there is another B&B right in the neighborhood called the Coachhouse B&B...look for a Lafayette Street adress in either Salem or Marblehead and that will get you real close by. Enjoy!

MASSACHUSETTS
Level Contributor
85 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: College Hunting...Where to Stay?

Thank you, Leafpeeper! I'll look into that as well. Also, your comment about walking into downtown Salem from the college after dark sent up a red flag about the area in general..... : \

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: College Hunting...Where to Stay?

Ask some other locals how they feel about the Salem State area after dark...Hopefully the college runs shuttles.

MASSACHUSETTS
Level Contributor
85 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: College Hunting...Where to Stay?

Gotcha. Thanks!

9. Re: College Hunting...Where to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, September 10, 2009