We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of day to visit the Desert Museum (in winter)?

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of day to visit the Desert Museum (in winter)?

Hi all, we're in Tucson for the next week and a bit, and were thinking of visiting the Desert Museum. I've read that it's recommended to visit early in the morning in the summer, but how about in the winter - anyone been at this time of year, and cares to make a suggestion?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of day to visit the Desert Museum (in winter)?

I would go in the afternoon. With the cool weather, the critters are more likely to be out catching some warm sun.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of day to visit the Desert Museum (in winter)?

The morning recommendation in the summer is both because the animals will be more active, and it allows you to explore the grounds in more tolerable temperatures. However, in the winter, it's somewhat reversed. If it's especially cold, then you'll want to get there after 10. If you're going on a weekend though, then I would still go fairly early, as that's when they're busiest, and it can get very, very crowded.

They do daily programs, like the raptor free flight, that may be of interest to you, so I would suggest you check out their site to see what's going on the day you go and what interests you: http://www.desertmuseum.org/

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of day to visit the Desert Museum (in winter)?

Colinaz and MikePin are spot on. I've been to the Museum several times and never seem to be there less than 4 hours. I believe the Museum closes at 5 (or sundown at the latest), so you might want to take that into consideration. Of course, you could go early and start with some of the indoor displays or have coffee and a bite to eat in the gift shop before going outside. And remember that sunburn is a real risk, even in winter. In any case, enjoy- it's a great place!

USA
Level Contributor
11,424 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of day to visit the Desert Museum (in winter)?

They also have a nice sit down restaurant if you wanted to take a nice break. The beauty of the museum is that it's not too big, yet packed with enough to keep you busy for hours. The restaurant and gift shop add to the experience.

5. Re: Best time of day to visit the Desert Museum (in winter)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 06, 2015