We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation rental location

new jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
vacation rental location

Our family of 4 (2 kids 10 and 12) is traveling to Arizona in mid-April. We are planning to spend 3 nights in the Tucson area. We'd like to visit the the Desert Museum, Saguaro NP West, possibly Sabino Canyon and the Titan Missile Museum or Pima Air and Space. We would want to go into Tucson 1 or 2 evenings for dinner/Old Town Artisans. We'll be heading out of town I-10 east towards Las Cruces - so I'm thinking we can go to Tombstone and Kartchner Caverns that day (without returning to Tucson).

We'd like to get a vacation rental - somewhat limited by short stay. Some preference for being outside of town. I can't find anything for days/price in Catalina Foothills (though still looking). Just wondering about best location of the following:

Barrio Sapo - Western slopes of Tucson Mtns (looks just outside Saguaro NP West

"Tucson Mtn foothills"

Starr Pass

Omni Resort

near Saguaro East NP (guessing this makes least sense)

Thanks in advance.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,129 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacation rental location

There are likely few vacation rentals "out of town." This is a very urban area, which transitions quickly to the surrounding desert at its extremes.

Most vacation rentals have a minimum stay of a week. Of all the locations which you list, Omni is the only one close to things like grocery shopping and dining, and that's a hotel. It may however have good prices on its casitas as the season is pretty much over in mid-April.

For a 3-day stay, I think you may be limited to a suites hotel.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacation rental location

You can go on VRBO to look for vacation rentals that meet your price range and other criteria, and be able to see where they are. AirBnB may also be worth a look. It depends on what you mean by "out of town" though. Catalina Foothills is just in the suburbs. That Barrio Sapo one is pretty far out though, but it's close to the Desert Museum and Saguaro NP West, so that may work well for you. It's definitely isolated: very little out there. But it's still less than half an hour from the city. We have a friend that lives just a mile or so to the east that we stay with sometimes, and the area is okay. There are some businesses just to the north in Picture Rocks, but basically just some gas stations. If you're okay with that, then that may be your best option.

The area around the Omni is really suburban. Saguaro NP East is a nice area, but it depends on exactly where you're talking about. Starr Pass is a decent area, but I believe those vacation rentals are mostly condos. It's also close to the city but feels fairly isolated.

Hope that helps.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vacation rental location

If you haven't already found a place, click on the "vacation rentals" tab on top of this page and enter your requirements. If you see a listing for "Tucson Entertainment, Deserts and Mountains", I personally recommend it. We rented it to use for friends visiting a couple weeks ago, and it was perfect. You can contact the host from the Trip Advisor listing if you want. The review on that page is mine. The apartment does have a separate queen bedroom with its own bathroom. The other bed is a double futon, which would work if your kids can share a bed. Our guest said the futon was very comfortable. There is also a nice-sized sofa, if that helps. The apartment would be reasonably close to all the places you mention except Sabino Canyon. It's also about 3 minutes from I-10 for when you head out. Downtown is about 5 minutes. When I looked at the listing, it was available March 31-April 19. I am not related to the owner, nor do I have any business connections with her. I found the place by searching just as I described. Karen was a wonderful host, and the price she charges is, frankly, way too low for what you get. Anyway, hope this helps.

new jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: vacation rental location

Thanks so much for the recommendation - It looks great. I would not have found it because "sleeps 4" screens it out, but I have inquired. Very helpful to have a specific recommendation - thanks again!

5. Re: vacation rental location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, February 07, 2015