We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

We are trying to coordinate an adult family trip and are having a hard time deciding between the White Stallion Ranch and the Hacienda del Sol. Only three of the five will horseback ride and will only ride once so I'm not sure it's worth it financially to stay at the White Stallion Ranch. Plus the WSR doesn't have TV in the rooms and the food is a bit more casual than I'd like for a vacation (e.g. beans and hot dogs).

The Hacienda del Sol appears to be the better bargain to me as the rooms are nicer, we can pay for the one horseback riding trip separately (only $40 for an hour) and we can get the food we like by choosing from several on-site restaurants or in town.

Is this a realistic view based on my research or am I completely wrong?

There will be one elderly couple, one adult and his teenage child, and one middle aged woman (three separate rooms). What would be the best value and which place would be best for our needs?

Thanks so much for any input!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

Your view is realistic. If only part of your party will ride, and only once, it doesn't make sense to book at the ranch. Hacienda del Sol is much closer to everything in town, will provide a much higher level of comfort and, as you said, will be much closer to a lot of nice restaurants..

Edited: 6:05 pm, January 09, 2014
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

Hacienda del Sol is one of the nicest places to stay in Tucson. While it is tucked away privately in a residential area, Hacienda del Sol is also close to anything that you might want. WSR is pretty much not near much of anything, but they do have better food than hot dogs and beans.

I recommend H del Sol over the better resorts. Smaller, more private, just as good service.

Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm leaning towards the Hacienda del Sol but my family members think we'll "bond" more if we stay at the White Stallion Ranch with the activities there (e.g. entertainment around the bonfire, line dancing lessons, etc) . I, however, just can't see spending all that money if we will only horseback ride once. I looked at a sample menu at the White Stallion Ranch and while it looks better than hot dogs and beans, it still seems more like a backyard BBQ menu to me. Guess I'm a food snob. ;-)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

For a food snob, maybe take a look at Tanque Verde Ranch. Not so isolated, they have really good food, plus the "western-type" stuff. Quite pricey, but not sure how it compares with White Stallion Ranch. It is also only about a 15 minute drive to other good restaurants.

http://www.tanqueverderanch.com/

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

I agree that Hacienda del Sol is a very good choice, and for what you're wanting, might be a better fit than WSR. That said, and for anyone else reading this, WSR does offer cheaper packages that do NOT include horseback riding, based on availability. You have to call them to ask about it, though, as I don't think it's listed on their website.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

Some things to think about WSR, since horseback riding is not the true objective.... Horseback riding these days is called "nose to tail" trail riding. You can sit backwards, and the horse will still follow the trail. It will be nothing like the "City Slicker" movies. What could be interesting is the terrain through which you ride. Also think about all the time when there won't be activities ..... what will you do? There are plenty of interesting things to do in and around Tucson that can provide bonding activities.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

Just saw Mike's post - Tanque Verde is a bit of a mixed bag. Some people love it, others not so much. I've had the same "mixed" experience, and it all depends on which staff member you're interacting with at the moment. It's a bit more luxurious than WSR, but not by much, in some areas. Unless Tanque Verde offers a "non-riding" package, I think the OP is better off with WSR or Hacienda.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

I think Hacienda del Sol would be the best bet. But if the rest of the family is dead set on a "dude ranch" type of thing, I think TVR is in a better location for other family members to find things to do that don't involve dude ranching.

Does WSR even offer a non-riding package?

Edited: 7:26 pm, January 09, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

TVR does have packages that do not include activities / horseback riding.

www.tanqueverderanch.com/pages/Packages1/

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,634 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White Stallion Ranch or Hacienda del Sol

Mike, that's good to know about TVR, and yes, WSR offers non-riding packages, too.