We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October 2014 Tucson Visit

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
486 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
October 2014 Tucson Visit

Visiting this October. We have been to Tucson several times visiting family in Green Valley and have seen many of the typical sights: Desert Museum, Tombstone, Bisbee, Sedona, Old Tucson, San Xavier mission, Tumaccacori...these were all great and we'd have no problem repeating visits to many, we were just wondering if anyone can suggest something different. We'll be based in Green Valley, but we're willing to travel around.

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October 2014 Tucson Visit

Check my blog on things to see and do around southern Arizona. Should give you some ideas.

http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,655 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October 2014 Tucson Visit

Should you be up for a scenic overnight road trip ... From the I-10, drive the 191 North ... After stopping at the over view of the "pit"at Morenci,it is a mountainous(slow) drive into Egar/Springerville... Turn onto the 260 West ,into Show Low for the night. Next day, drive the 60/77, back to "start"... Plan on this in good weather, as a lot of the drive is at higher elevations ... carracar

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
486 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October 2014 Tucson Visit

Thanks to both of you...Mike, took a look at your blog...looks like lots of good things to do and see.

Thanks again, looking forward to my trip in a few weeks.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October 2014 Tucson Visit

If you have yet to visit the wineries in the Sonoita area, that can be a lot of fun. October is a good time of year to do that as well.

Any interest in hiking? There are a number of good trails in the Santa Rita Mountains just to the south of Green Valley, as well as a plethora of trails further north in the Santa Catalina, Rincon, and Tucson Mountains.

The museums on the University of Arizona campus are also well worth the time, particularly the Center for Creative Photography. Parking is free on the weekends, but you have to watch out for football and basketball games, which inundate the campus.

That said, what about going to UA football game? Tickets are relatively cheap and it's a good time. They only have one home game in October this year though, unfortunately. www.arizonawildcats.com/SportSelect.dbml…

And I always like going back to the Desert Museum. They have several different scheduled programs throughout the day, so you want to look into that. The raptor free flight is worth seeing, I think.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October 2014 Tucson Visit

Others have given you some good ideas. If you're into astronomy at all, you might want to check out the Sky Nights program at the U of A Observatory on Mt. Lemmon. You could combine that with a picnic and/or some hiking on Mt. Lemmon. Just make sure to dress warmly, as it gets cold, especially at night.

6. Re: October 2014 Tucson Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 15, 2014