We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Days in Tuscon

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
674 posts
419 reviews
Save Topic
Two Days in Tuscon

We are staying at Westward Look and are traveling with 2 therapy yorkies. Recommendations for some not to miss activities, shopping and restaurants are appreciated. We have never been to Tuscon and have no idea where to begin.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Days in Tuscon

What are your interests? That will help us a lot.

What kinds of food are you looking for? Also, what kind of shopping?

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
674 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Days in Tuscon

Native food or just about anything except Asian. Shopping venues with a historical feel and unique shops. Scenic drives, etc.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
674 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Days in Tuscon

Oh I forgot, we love to visit wineries for tastings, they would have to allow the pups, but most do as they are in a stroller and service dogs. Easy hikes, and historical places. Don't want to get caught in a tourist trap. And...is Westward Look a good choice and location?

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Days in Tuscon

Scenic drives- Mount Lemmon.

Restaurants: Casa Molina, Wildflower (which is very close to the Westward Look), The Grill at the Hacienda del Sol, Vivace at St Philip's Plaza.

Shopping I'll leave to other people because most of my shopping is Target or Barnes & Noble. :)

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Days in Tuscon

The Westward Look is located in what's called the Foothills area- it's the northern part of Tucson up in the (logically enough) foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains. It's a nice area and it's fairly easy to get around to various places from there.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Days in Tuscon

I don't know of anywhere in town that does native foods (there is a place in Sells). Every once in a while, a restaurant will do something seasonally, like mesquite pancakes, but there are no restaurants that are dedicated to this. Fry bread is pointed out as a native food, but it was introduced during colonial times. You can get that at Mission San Xavier, mostly on the weekends.

Tucson is big on Mexican food, but the style here differs greatly from Tex-Mex.

The wineries are mostly to the southeast of town, in Sonoita and Elgin. I can't think of any tasting rooms in Tucson, even. I don't know about dog-friendly wineries, but my guess would be that the strollers would make it a non-issue. I can recall one where the owners had an off-leash, older basset in the tasting room, so I know it's not unheard of. A lot of the wineries can get very crowded and there's not much room in many of them.

With two days, you should absolutely visit the Desert Museum. No dogs though. In fact, you'll find that the case with most attractions in Tucson except, of course, public spaces like Fourth Avenue.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
674 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Days in Tuscon

Charron Vineyards will allow the dogs. Has anybody had an experience there?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Days in Tuscon

Westward Look is a good location. You will love it.

For things to see and do, start by checking out my blog:

http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

Two days is assuredly not enough time to see much. Definitely the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, San Xavier del Bac Mission. For historical, try the Arizona Historical Society Museum and the Arizona State Museum. For unique shopping, Old Town Artisans, Lost Barrio, maybe 4th Avenue. Or down to Tubac.

Local restaurants: El Charro (the original one downtown) for Mexican, maybe lunch at Karichimaka on the way to or from the Mission. For Italian, Piazza Gavi on Sunrise, Vero Amore on Ft. Lowell. Steaks -- El Corral on River Road.

If you decide to do wine tasting, going to Elgin would be just about a full day. With the dogs, you wouldn't be able to go to Kartchner Caverns ( a must-see), but a trip down to Tombstone and Bisbee would be doable in conjunction with wine tasting.

Again, not too much you can see and do in such a short time.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
674 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two Days in Tuscon

Thank you all for the good advice. We are on our way to CA to visit relatives, but if we love it, we'll be back.

10. Re: Two Days in Tuscon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 05, 2014