We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights of Tucson

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Sights of Tucson

Hey Everyone!

I'm travelling to Tucson in late January for a couple of weeks. I will be spending most of my time either recovering from het-lag from my flights from Australia and attending a conference, but I do have some spare time and was wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions for how to spend my spare time. I would like if possible to see some local sights, maybe attend a sports event if possible or just anything in the local area as I dont really think I'll be heading back to this part of America for some time.

I'd appreciate any thoughts even if they be quite general.

Thanks!

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Sights of Tucson

The big thing to do here is the Arizona-Sonora desert Museum which is really more of an outdoor zoo. You'll see native animals, native vegetation and can walk into a hummingbird enclosure.

If you let us know what you are interested in we can give you more ideas.

ETA: Plan on renting a car while you're here; Tucson is not a cab-plentiful place and Tucson is spread out.

Edited: 8:01 am, January 02, 2013
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
101 reviews
2. Re: Sights of Tucson

The only sports going on at that time is University of Arizona basketball, and it's relatively difficult to get tickets for that, particularly when they're doing as well as they are this year. You are just barely missing the rodeo, which starts on February 16th this year.

I would suggest you try to take a short hike, maybe at Sabino Canyon or, if you're up for more of a challenge, one of the many trails that start just outside the city. It's a great opportunity to get into the real Sonoran desert to see its flora and fauna. The Desert Museum should still be a must on your list though. Many other attractions in town, depends on your interests. You can look at the "Things to Do" list on the upper left side of this page for more information and ideas.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
5,481 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Sights of Tucson

The run up to the massive Gem & mineral show in Tucson,might make lodging expensive...Visit early in your trip...carracar

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Sights of Tucson

I agree that you'll need a car if you want to go anywhere outside the university area and downtown - and you'll definitely want to do that to get a feel for the area. In addition to the U of A basketball games - you should definitely go if you can get a ticket - you might also be able to catch a U of A Ice Hockey Game downtown. Those games are a lot of fun.

Also agree that the Desert Museum is the one "must see".

If you're going to be outdoors at all you'll want to bring clothes so you can dress in layers. The mornings can be quite cold - even below freezing - but the days should warm up quite nicely.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Sights of Tucson

Check my blog of things to see and do around Tucson:

http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

You can pick and choose things to see and do, which really depends on your tastes. I think the following should not be missed:

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

San Xavier del Bac mission

Kartchner Caverns

Sabino Canyon and/or Saguaro National Park (east or west)

Also, if you have a lot of interest in the "old West", Tombstone and Bisbee.

Agree, you will definitely need a car to see much of anything. I assume, since you are attending a conference, you already have your lodging booked. Where are you staying?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Sights of Tucson

In your other post, you say you will be staying at the University Marriott so you will be across the street from the University of Arizona campus with several museums and galleries. You might find it interesting to roam around the campus. The Arizona Historical Society is practically next door, and it has nice exhibits with photos of Tucson history. The Arizona State Museum is just inside the campus gate, and it has good stuff on Arizona anthropology. You might find it interesting. There are also many cafes and pubs nearby, but you will be sharing them with the students.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
356 reviews
7. Re: Sights of Tucson

I would say the Pima Air Museum would be high on my list of things to do. I have been there twice on visits to Tucson and look forward going again on my next visit there. It is fascinating if you are interestsed in airplanes at all. Check out their website.

You might also be interested in Old Tucson Studios. Kind of fun!!!!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
521 reviews
8. Re: Sights of Tucson

Hey Australia, Tucson is really a great town. Do not miss walking around Sam Hughes, which is the old neighborhood just to the east of U of A. Be sure and have breakfast at Joel's on University Blvd. or Ghini's French Bakery or Blue Willow. The Blue Willow is especially good for a breakfast taste of Tucson. I agree that a hike or a ride up Sabino Canyon and then a hike really gives you the flavor of Tucson. See if you can grab some wonderful tamales, and sample some of the local brewpubs. Personally I found the Desert Museum a bore, but I love deserts and know them well so maybe I was colored in my view and I hate zoos. Drive up the mountains if you do rent a car, but be careful of snow.

ZB

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
521 reviews
9. Re: Sights of Tucson

I forgot one thing, a bike! Rent a bike. It is a great biking town, filled with bike lanes and you can go just about anywhere on a bike!

ZB

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Sights of Tucson

Thanks so much everyone for all your suggestions,...I intend to tick off as many of your suggestions as I can, I really thank you all for taking the time to give me some of your ideas!!!