We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
69 posts
39 reviews
Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

Will be arriving in Tucson Thanksgiving Day this year and was looking for an authentic/local restaurant for dinner or aftenroon buffet. Preferrably no chain restaurants. I've read the old posts of the various resorts, but am looking for more of a unique experience of Tucson. We're staying near Casa Adobes. Anything with awesome views of the mountains? Any help is greatly appreciated....

Thanks -Brent

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

A number of the resort restaurants have good views of the mountains. The Gold Room (now called "GOLD") at Westward Look is one. They're pricey though, honestly. There are two other places in Oro Valley that I like which have excellent patios and will be a little cheaper: Harvest and Noble Hops Gastropub. But where I would always go for mountain views is Blanco Taco at La Encantada. It's fantastic for sunsets during the cusp months. You can't see the Catalinas, but you do get a wonderful view of the Tucson Mountains to the west as well as the city below.

None of the above could be considered a cuisine local to Tucson though. For that, you'd have to try for a Mexican restaurant in the city, but none, to my knowledge, have nice views except for Teresa's Mosaic on Silverbell. That said, Mosaic has another location across from La Encantada that I actually prefer for the food and service, but they do not have any views. For other local Mexican restaurants, TripAdvisor provides a number of good recommendations in the "Restaurants" link on the left side.

Tucson has a very active and very supported local restaurant scene, so it is always very easy to find a good, locally-owned restaurant.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
69 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

That is exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,728 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

I have friends that own Mexican restaurants here in Tucson. On Thanksgiving they will be home with their extended families. Their restaurants will serve a normal menu but with a skeleton staff. The best Mexican restaurants are family-owned, and I would expect others to be the same.

Closer to Thanksgiving both the Arizona Daily Star and the Tucson Weekly will list restaurants open for Thanksgiving. Both are online. Expect most to be serving a Thanksgiving meal.

Unless I was looking for a Thanksgiving meal, that's not a day that I would select to go out to eat here. I would suggest picking out a few, and calling them on arrival to first see if they're open and then what menu is being served.

Edited: 9:00 pm, June 07, 2012
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,259 posts
101 reviews
4. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

Take a look at The Grill at Hacienda del Sol http://www.haciendadelsol.com/. I took guests there for Thanksgiving one time and it was really nice. They tend to utilize local flavors and ingredients as much as possible. The food, setting, and service are all top-notch, and the hacienda is historic. If you go, book a window seat ASAP.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
69 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

Thank you for the suggestion. I definitely will look into it!!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
6. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

Spent the last 3 thanksgivings in Tucson looking for places to eat. Very, very limied places will be open and those that are might have limited menu selections and limited wait staff, eager to get home early. As you get closer to the date, I suggest calling a lot of different places to see if they will be open. Good luck!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,728 posts
89 reviews
7. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

One of the reliable places for Thanksgiving dinner is Mimi's Cafe. Reservations will be needed. Mario has an accurate portrayal of the situation

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

Restaraunts in Tucson that tend to be open for Thanksgiving (and Christmas) in my expereince tend to be either the higher end ones or chains. There are a few independent ones- I think the Seoul Kitchen on Grant at the Crossroads has been open on both in the past- but otherwise you're looking at either some place like Denny's or TGIFriday's or Gold or the Grill at the Hacienda del Sol and paying through the nose.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
103 reviews
9. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

Hacienda del Sol is a rare treat and worth the cost.

However if you have trouble getting a reservation there or some other place with ambiance and a view, I would recommend a Mimi's. I know it is a chain, but my wife and I along with a gaggle of friends and relatives had Thanksgiving dinner at one here in Scottsdale last year. Good food and great service. Reservations are not mandatory, but very helpful. Our group was seated within 5 minutes of the time of our reservation.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
10. Re: Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

Check out Maynards in at the Railway Depot in downtown Tucson. Also, Primo at the Starrpass Marriott is an option. Locals also go to the buffet at the La Paloma Westin.

All of the above will be $45 per person or more.