We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on vacation rental location

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on vacation rental location

Hi

We've found what looks like an awesome vacation rental, however as we've never rented privately before I thought I'd come to the experts!

I know this is out of town, however as we're from the UK, we're happy to not go out in the evenings (maybe once or twice and grab a taxi) and go to Walmart instead, but does anybody have and comments on the property/ do you know the location? We want to go out and do touristy stuff during the day and then spend the evenings relaxing.

http://www.vrbo.com/100970#rates

The advice I get on Tripadvisor forums is always fantastic, so I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Kind Regards

Susan

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice on vacation rental location

The house looks like a great place to hang out and relax as long as you realize how isolated you will be in that area. You could easily pick up groceries and other supplies on your way into town from San Diego. Just make sure you get everything you want, because as others point out there are no services nearby.

But if you want to go out to dinner, you're looking at a pretty good drive to the best restaurants in town. So if that's really important you would probably be better off in a more central location. Windmill Inn is a great suggestion if you decide to do that.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice on vacation rental location

Hi All,

Still considering the rental I mentioned before, just because the house looks so amazing with great views, and as DesertBeachLover mentioned we think this would be a great place to hang out, on the understanding that we will not be able to go to restaurants without driving.

I have however seen another property which also looks great (and is available), which looks to have a better location and has a tonne of great reviews. Would you mind reviewing this one:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p201718

Kind Regards

Susan

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice on vacation rental location

That house is in the area referred to as the Old Barrio, or Barrio Viejo. This is a much better location for restaurants and nightlife than what you had previously posted. It still lacks access to a supermarket or large store (perpetual problem, even when I lived in that area) but there are, at least, convenience stores around where you can buy everyday items.

But that neighborhood is gorgeous, historic and very quiet considering it's so close to Downtown. It also appears to be on Convent Avenue, which is an awesome street: all historic, barrio style rowhouses. Most have been converted to offices and art galleries. There are some great restaurants in the Downtown area and that would all be walkable.

One option could be to rent a bike for your time there. Tucson has an excellent bike path and trail system and it could make up, if only somewhat, for your lack of a car. You could at least bike to the supermarket once or twice. Realize though that, since it will be excessively hot, your supermarket trips will have to be roughly around sunrise (and it will still be really hot).

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advice on vacation rental location

Hi Colinaz,

Thanks for your reply. We will have a rental car for the duration of our visit (we're driving to Tucson from San Diego and then up past the Grand Canyon) so we will be able to drive to a supermarket or store (is there a decent sized Walmart within 10 miles or so?)

We don't want to go out to restaurants / a drink every night, but I suppose that having the option would be nice. If we went for the more remote location do you have any idea what the rough cost of a taxi would be in the evening?

The heat is one of the reasons why we are looking at a rental rather than a hotel, so we've got somewhere to hangout/hide if it gets too hot. Also, I like to be able to go to the supermarket and cook when we're on holiday.

I will be honest, I've chosen the rentals based on the houses looking gorgeous, it's completely out of the realms of what we need for 2 people but we're spoiling ourselves since it's out of season and we seem to be able to get some particularly spectacular places to stay.

Thanks

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Advice on vacation rental location

The nearest Wal-Mart to Barrio Viejo is probably the I-19 @ Irvington location, which is close to ten miles away. There are two Safeway stores (supermarkets) about two miles from the location: one at Broadway & Campbell, and one at Silverbell & St. Mary's. IMHO, the food selection, prices and quality are far superior to that of Wal-Mart. I believe the same Wal-Mart is the closest to your Starr Pass location as well, but a little farther from it.

I would estimate a taxi from Starr Pass to Downtown at $25 one-way. There are good restaurants all over the city though.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
487 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Advice on vacation rental location

Thanks colinaz. My husband likes looking around Walmart at the car aisles and comparing prices to the UK. :-) We'll try Safeway for food too. I found this review on fodors for the neighbourhood. The last sentence particularly concerns me. I couldn't find a date on it so I don't know how old it is. Can you share your knowledge again please?

Barrio Histórico District -- Another 19th-century neighborhood, the Barrio Histórico is bounded on the north by Cushing Street, on the west by railroad tracks, on the south by 18th Street, and on the east by Stone Avenue. The Barrio Histórico is characterized by Sonoran-style adobe row houses that directly abut the street with no yards, a style typical in Mexican towns. A few restaurants dot the neighborhood, but most restored buildings serve as offices and private residences. This remains a borderline neighborhood where restoration is a slow, ongoing process, so try to avoid it late at night.

Read more: frommers.com/destinations/…ixzz1wNu7vvnf

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Advice on vacation rental location

The neighborhood is "borderline" as you get toward Stone and 6th but is fine to the west. In any urban neighborhood around the world, caution must be exercised late at night. It's safe though. If it makes you feel better, the police headquarters building is two blocks east of there, on Stone.

18. Re: Advice on vacation rental location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:41 am, June 21, 2013