We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Property Crime Rates in Tucson

Sarasota,FL
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Property Crime Rates in Tucson

Many upon many reporting bureaus report Tucson AZ as the highest property crime rate in the country. Have any of the Tucson natives had any first hand experience with this or is it in more concentrated areas ? I guess its the car jacking and car theft issues that are most common.

Tucson, AZ
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Property Crime Rates in Tucson

Yup, had my truck windows busted twice. Instead of a car sound system, I now carry an Ipod. And I lived in "Blenman" or whatever fancy names the realtors are putting on areas of town these days.

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Property Crime Rates in Tucson

I saw the response of having the windows broken and was wondering if having a car alarm helps at all or if the damage still occurs. Looking to relocate and was wondering. Thanks

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Property Crime Rates in Tucson

It's easier to just leave your car open, saves on having the windows replaced....yes, we have a huge number of car jackings, we are so close to the border that once they have it, it goes across into Mexico never to be seen again. Mexico is not exactly helpful getting your vehicle back.

The only one that benefits from the car alarms are the people installing them. They really are not a solution for the auto theft....go into any parking lot and you generally hear several going off and people just walking by paying no attention to them..

Yes, I have been a victim of personal property theft and it doesn't matter where you live in or out of the city. With the drug problem, it's everywhere!! I now live in a home with bars on the doors/windows a 6 ft brick wall and gates on the driveway....I feel safer, but whose the one that's "locked up"??

Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Property Crime Rates in Tucson

There was a lot of debate regarding the validity of this report. The problem was that small crimes (t.p. ing someones house) and other misdemeanors are classified as property crimes which a lot of other cities don't even report. Yes, there is crime here but no more than any other city of the same size. Don't let those misleading reports diswade you.

Oro VAlley Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Property Crime Rates in Tucson

Tucson and surrounding area's also have a big drug problem, but not sure what area does not have this problem any more. Supposedly we have one of the biggest meth problems, again not sure why.

Lets put it this way, I don't feel as safe living here as I did say 5 years ago!

They keep building and building, shopping center after shopping center and like it or not, shopping centers seem to attract the criminal element.

Sarasota,FL
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Property Crime Rates in Tucson

I guess what I am trying to find out is Tucson a town with its own feel and character or is it too late and now its just just turning into another "up and coming" boom town.

For instance I have lived here in Southwest Florida for some years now and I have watched a fun quaint resort town turn into a overpopulated mix of yuppies, families, realtors, and so on, you get the point.. It used to be fun to go to the beach for an afternoon, now the parking problem alone is ridicules. We haven't been to the beach in Months and we live in Bradenton.

I know I will offend some folks here but the "New Yorker" mentality is slowly creeping in( any floridian on the east coast knows just what I mean).

We used to have a saying here on the west coast of Florida "don't east coast the west coast" well guess what too late.

Is this what Tucson is slowly turning into or is there still a feel of character and integrity about the people in Tucson ?

We (my girlfriend and I) are looking in Arizona and New Mexico we have seen a bit too much of the hurricanes and our overpopulated state. (sorry New Yorkers)

Tucson
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Property Crime Rates in Tucson

I live in the midtown area of Tucson with my husband and never get out to any of the outlying areas of town unless I heading out of town on I-10. In my experience the physical heart of the city is very real with lots of character. I have lived in northern and southern CA, Alb., NM, and upstate NY. This place is about as real as it gets. In 2000 we left Tucson for about 3 years and couldn't wait to come back.

Yes, Tucson does have strip malls and chain restaurants, but you'll find some interesting shops and eateries at these locations. There's not as many chain restaurants as you would expect for a town this size. Better yet, Tucson has a great independent restaurant scene. It is among the best places for eating out. The outskirts of town is another story -- rows and rows of houses that all look the same, and with no yards. All the chain stores are there too. But, if you choose, you can avoid all that altogether.

Yes, crime can be a problem here. I too have had my car windows broken (about 8 years ago), but the car itself was not taken, nor was anything taken from the car. We don't have any bars on our windows or anything like that, but we try to keep an eye on the neighborhood happenings. We happen to have a questionable neighbor right now, which causes us to be more guarded than we have been in other neighborhoods.

Even so, if you like the desert landscape (stunning mountains, plants and wildlife) and can handle the summers, Tucson is a wonderful place to live. It's beautiful, but has a gritty underbelly -- no disneyfication around here. It's not perfect, but we really love our city!

kers)