We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real Estate in Tucson

Anchorage, AK
1 post
Save Topic
Real Estate in Tucson

Weather around the year, and condo prices.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real Estate in Tucson

I am in Atlanta and friends from Tucson visited me last week. They just sold their 1600 sq. ft. condo in two days for $210K. They purchased it in 1998 for $102K. The market there is going through the roof. Weather: Hot from May through October. People say, "Oh, it a dry heat." Let me tell you, it's hot. However, at 2,600 ft, it's better than Phoenix (1,000 ft). Hope that you are retired since salaries are very low. For a good city comparison, go into google and enter: compare cities. You can enter any city and a chart will compile around ten major factors such as housing, climate, cost of living, etc.

Oro VAlley Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Real Estate in Tucson

The only time the weather is too hard to handle for me is July and August when we get heat and humidity. May and June gets hot but the humidity is really that looooow then that you can sit outside under a patio and still be comfortable. Looking at the big picture, not sure if many places are better, but if you are used to Alaska you might not like it here.

For real estate listings, try www. longrealty.com

I like the site because they pick up most all listings in the area and show pictures on the majority.

san francisco
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real Estate in Tucson

In my opinion, you would have to be an idiot to buy into Tucson at the moment. Housing prices have gone up close to 50% over the last 5 years and there are no fundamentals. No high paying jobs, high crime, etc. The Tucson market, much like Phoenix and Las Vegas is being driven by out of state real estate speculators. If anything happens in the housing market, it's going to happen to secondary markets like Tucson first.

Oro VAlley Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Real Estate in Tucson

Hi McCurley. Yes you are right about the skyrocketing housing costs, but its still a bargain compared to most of the country. About the crime rate, yes Tucson does have a higher then average crime rate, but the suburbs are still very safe& that is where all the new construction is.

The job or salary issue is not much of a factor if this person is retiring here. Personally I don't like all of this growth, we moved here because of the weather and quality of life, but not sure there is much left of that anywhere in the country.

san francisco
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real Estate in Tucson

With respect to CactusCutie, Oro Valley is the perfect example of what's wrong with Tucson. Eight years ago, the city ended as you drove north on Oracle around Pusch Ridge. Now, there is a vast sea of frame and stucco "little pink houses" as far as the eye can see. I'm sure Oro Valley is a fine place to live. There is probably a Wal Mart and a Safeway close, but if you actually have to drive into the city to make a living, you're looking at an hour each way.

I'm exceedingly amused at newcomers who have contributed to suburban sprawl complaining about the growth.

Oro VAlley Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Real Estate in Tucson

Glad that you are amused!!! Yes Oro Valley is still a nice place to live. But depending on the time of day and the location of your destination in Tucson it could take 1/2 hour to an hour to get there.

Also for your information a lot of us who moved here were told that we would have certain amounts of "open space" its not the fault of the newcomers for some time our town had a lot of "cement head" council members.

Yes we do have shopping, don't you? Or are you above all that!!! About the wall mart, no we don't have one but there is a developer that will surely push to get one here, but I am sure you already know that.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real Estate in Tucson

To check out real estate prices, try

www.realtor.com

It works for all over the U.S.

Northeast
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Real Estate in Tucson

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Tucson in about 2 years, so we were very interested in the views expressed in these postings. We won't be retiring for about 5 years. We visited last November to look at real estate in the area. We mostly looked in the areas West and Northwest of the city, and are returning in June to look at other areas. We are from the Northeast, so we understand about traffic and growth. It was disappointing to hear that Tucson is growing so quickly, but, it's been like that here for years, so we can deal with it. We don't want new construction because it all seems too crowded. An older neighborhood with about 1 acre of land would be nice. Max price would be about $350,000. Can anyone summarize the differences between the different sections of the city? Is there any area we would be more likely to find what we are looking for? It takes us about 60 to 90 minutes to get into Boston, and we would like a little more convenience to downtown Tucson. Thanks for any advice.

Oro VAlley Arizona
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Real Estate in Tucson

Hi on2tucson. My advice would be to get the sunday addition of the Arizona Daily Star delivered to you in Mass. This way you will get the real estate sections

Also check out www.longrealty.com if you are serious I will type you back some details on the site, its really a wonderful real estate website & they have 99% of all the mls listings in the area on their site. There are many catergories to narrow your search by.

Its possible you might not find that house with an acre you are looking for at that price.

I live in the northwest area or Oro Valley, seems like most of the newcomers move to the northwest area.

You might want to consider Marana. They are building homes with bigger lots.

Just recently everything around here is going up in price real fast.

5 years ago 350,000 we would have been living in an almost luxury house, with knock your socks off views, now 350,000 will buy you a very nice house.

Also if you really are moving here I would advise you to come out say in the summer, not June because June is hot hot but the humidity is low, I don't mind June. Say end of July/August, so if you can stand that time frame, you will love the rest of the year.'

Good Luck

Northeast
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Real Estate in Tucson

Thanks cactuscutie. I have actually be using the longrealty site for a while now. Also mls site. When we were there in November, we brought some listings with us and drove around to look at them. We quickly discovered that what looked nice in a picture, wasn't so great seen in person.

We picked June for a visit because of our work schedules. But we would definitely spend a couple of weeks there in the summer before making a final decision. I can tolerate heat and even humidity more than the cold. At least you don't have to shovel heat like you do snow!

Any advise on areas to stay away from?