We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any areas to live and walk in Tucson?

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville
4 posts
Save Topic
Any areas to live and walk in Tucson?

Are there any neighborhoods in Tucson where there is more of a walking culture than a driving culture? We are not opposed to looking at historic houses near downtown (which seems like a walkable city). Our ideal place would be a small town with homes within walking distance of the town not too far from Tucson (within 20 miles). We have two young children, so a safe neighborhood is key. Any thoughts would help a great deal. Thanks!

Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any areas to live and walk in Tucson?

I would be willing to bet this is what you would be looking for. This has been touted as a pedestrian friendly community and environmentally friendly. It's on the east side of Tucson definetly within 20 miles of most of Tucson.

http://www.civanoneighbors.com/

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any areas to live and walk in Tucson?

Hi Toni, yes the answer to your question lies in SE Tucson, in Civano. Greatest neighborhood I've ever seen, in my 50 years of traveling. Safe, secure, pedestrian, rear loading garages on what they call carriage lanes, instead of alleys! Children play everywhere and are safe(within reason..) and they even have a b&b and you don't have to drive 12 miles to a hotel!

Check it out. It's really great!

Louisville
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any areas to live and walk in Tucson?

Thanks folks.....I will check it out.

Tucson
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any areas to live and walk in Tucson?

Tucson is deceiving. Yes, it's an automobile oriented city, however, it is layed out in a very logical manner. The city is composed of 1 square mile "superblocks" which commercial activities along the major roads, and residential neighborhoods on the interior. Therefore, no matter where you live, you are no more than a 1/4 mile walk to commerical activity.

But there are many neighborhoods that are what you are looking for. Check out Armory Park, the Barrio and West University neighborhoods. I would suggest you check out the new infill subdivision called Armory Park del Sol.

Tucson
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any areas to live and walk in Tucson?

Tucson is deceiving. Yes, it's an automobile oriented city, however, it is layed out in a very logical manner. The city is composed of 1 square mile "superblocks" which commercial activities along the major roads, and residential neighborhoods on the interior. Therefore, no matter where you live, you are no more than a 1/4 mile walk to commerical activity.

But there are many neighborhoods that are what you are looking for. Check out Armory Park, the Barrio and West University neighborhoods. I would suggest you check out the new infill subdivision called Armory Park del Sol.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any areas to live and walk in Tucson?

There's a nice article about Civano with several pictures in the January/February Cottage Living magazine.